• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Lock switch in rear cargo area

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Gentlemen!

I posted several years ago about wanting to add a door lock switch in the rear cargo area of my 98 XJ but never quite figured out how to do what I wanted.

I was looking to install a switch what would allow me to lock or unlock all doors from the back hatch. I don't have a keyless remote and I have had countless times where I would unlock the rear hatch to get to a few things just to leave my self wishing that there was an easy way to unlock the rest of the doors. Or, on your way out when you need to grab something, it would be nice to be able to close all front passenger doors (unlocked) and then go to the hatch and grab something before departing and do one final lock action from the hatch itself. Before, I would lock all doors and take my key to the rear hatch, unlock it, grab the item, then lock it back down. This would also be handy even if you had keyless so you don't have to fumble for your keys after throwing them in your pocket. So long story short, I thought this would be a nice addition.

Well, I finally figured it out. All you have to do is run ground through two momentary switches from your chosen location in the back hatch up to the front door lock/unlock signal request wires. In my year and I'm assuming at least the 97 to the 99, the wires are light blue w/ red stripe and dark blue. Essentially all you have to do is ground either of these wires individually for either a lock or an unlock signal ground pulse.

I used a self tapping screw to pull ground right by the switches, ran one wire to each switch and then ran the other end of each switch to the lt blue and red wire and the dark blue wire. I do have the keyless entry module built into the front dome light and was able to very easily tap into the two signal wires there. If you don't have the keyless module in your roof, then you'd have to get up to the main loom in the passenger kick panel.

This is a fairly easy mod and one that I am glad that I finally figured out.

IMG_20130601_102141.jpg

IMG_20130601_102316.jpg

I got lazy when tying into the lt.blue/dk. blue wires. Since I don't have or use keyless, I just unplugged the connector and stuck the signal wires into the female portion of the plug. If you would like to retain keyless, just splice into these wires behind the plug.
IMG_20130531_151818.jpg

I like this, if I ever get a 97+ XJ I will do this. Not sure if you just used switches that you had already, but I would do a 3-pos momentary switch to just press either way depending lock/unlock.

I'm gonna steal this, thanks

Johnnie, that's what I was looking for and will probably use eventually, but RadioShack didn't have a double momentary rocker switch. Im worried that the jeep will explode if I hit both at once..... hopefully my luck doesn't make that become a reality :)

Islander, please steal it... that's why I posted it. Steal away!

Johnnie, that's what I was looking for and will probably use eventually, but RadioShack didn't have a double momentary rocker switch. Im worried that the jeep will explode if I hit both at once..... hopefully my luck doesn't make that become a reality :)

Islander, please steal it... that's why I posted it. Steal away!

Also, I think it would makes more sense to install the switch on the inner part of the panel by the rear side window?
What about a single switch similar to the stock PDL switch for a more "factory" feel? Or more of a rocker switch vs toggle.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12688422&numProdsPerPage=60
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKER-SWIT...040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6f0908a8

Last edited:
Either design you posted would work just fine,,, if it was a double momentary switch. You don't want one that clicks and holds either direction. I thing moving it around toward the window would be a good idea. I left mine out where I did so you could see it fairly easily without having to feel around for it. At that point, its just personal preference. You will notice that you will be at least somewhat limited on where you can install the switch due to the fact that there is only so much free space behind the trim pieces. If you get too close to the window, you will actually interfere with the unibody and keep the plastic from sitting flush. If you find a double momentary switch that will work and decide how you want to install it closer to the window, please post pics and let us know what switch you end up using.

Back