• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 97-01 XJ to purchase DD lt Off Road

GreyAlien

NAXJA Forum User
Former TJ owner. Sold it about 6 years ago. It was a 4cyl and no AC and i grew to hate that since I lived in SoCal then and sometimes you just need AC and the 4cyl was a dog trying to get up to Big Bear. I plan on getting a TJ Unlimited later but for now I need a $5000 cash car and I always loved the XJ (almost got one instead of my TJ originally).

Anyway I plan to do some Light offroad but would love to do more. Will be daily driver.
Def want a 6 cyl auto. I like the look of the last update. My questions are in regards to the minor changes I saw from year to year. Correct me if I am wrong:

1. 96-99 has high pinion reverse cut front axle. 2000-2001 low pinion
2. 2000-2001 engine has 3 more HP and has distributor less ignition system using coil-on-plug ignition but pre 2000 engines have bigger exhaust ports.

I know it's minor stuff. Ultimately I hope to find a nicely kept XJ at a price I can afford. and if possible leather heh heh. =) Don't see too many 2 door 6 cyl auto's but that would be really nice. I am in NorCal. I would eventually add a mild lift and 31's and minor engine mods, rocker guards, sliders, front and rear bumper with tire carrier winch.

Any comments appreciated. I like leather / pleather just for easier clean up. I like the limited more for the monotone and i like that 2 tone interior on some. then again if i get a nice deal and those things are not present i don't mind.
:us:

1999--best of the XJ.

Newer (97+) body style
Last year of the HP D30 (high pinion).
Last year of the conventinal ignition (distributor, coil and spark plug wires)
No chance of it having the exhaust manifold dual mini-catalytic converters that show up in the 2000+ California emissions version (also seen in many other states with the same smog standards).

IMO, the HP D30 is the most important advantage.

1999 for all the reasons mentioned. No 0331 head to worry about.
Regardless of what you do, I recommend frame stiffeners before any lift/suspension mods. Your jeep and anyone that rides in it will thank you.
Some good vinyl paint can make your interior whatever color you want it to be, ha.

Thanks Guys! 99 it is. I am looking to purchase in July.
1997 and 1998 models have most of the same features as a 1999 so don't discount them if you run into a clean example.
Just a few months ago, a friend found a nice rust-free 1997 Country with only 80,000 miles and a NP242. Hard to find but they are out there.

Depends on what you are wanting to do with/to it. The 0331 head is really only an issue from what I have found due to poor PO maintenance of the cooling system. Mine failed likely due to me overheating it, as well as the PO not doing flushes on a real regular basis. I would rather mine have a HP front end, VS the LP, but I am going to be swapping it when I lift it, so that won't be an issue. 97-99 had the lighter interior colors, while 00-01 had the darker "charcoal" interior colors. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a '99 myself. But if a 98 or 97 came along that were clean I would go for either of those as well. I am actually privvy to the '94s since I have now owned two of them.

Jeff

Didn't the 97s have wiring problems? My buddy had one that had issues

I hear this a lot, but my 97 (which I've owned since Jan '02) has been, hands down, the least trouble of any car I've ever owned. I'd buy just about anything 97-99, as long as it wasn't rusty and had most of the options I wanted.

Back