• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does my coil spring look weird?

JeepGodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to get your guys opinion on how my coil springs compress. Maybe its just me and this is normal, but its driving me nuts.

When the spring expands, it looks normal. But when it compresses, it "bends" so to speak. Now I know that it's not going to be perfectly straight, but to me it seems like its bending too much. I have the pinion angle set correctly to make the driveshaft angle better, and also IRO adjustable control arms. I also understand that when compressed, the pinion angle is going to force the bottom of the spring out, causing the spring to bow out. NOTE: This is under FULL compression. Well at least as much as I could do at the time.

I guess my question is, is this bowing too much? Or should I just let it be since its not causing any problems?

Btw, I have around 7.5-8.0" of lift, I know its tall, and im going to rectify that, but for the time being, I just need it to work. Flame Suit Activated...

That's pretty normal with tall lifts and crappy control arm angles from what Ive seen.

It doesn't even look compressed too much, but a steep control arm angle, while it centers the axle fine at ride height will push the axle forward when compressing.

What is your caster set at?

IMO caster takes priority over pinion angle too, but usually if one is good on a dana 30, the other is in the ball park.

IIRC, I set my caster at 6*. When I got the Jeep, the PO put a stupid high lift on it and never took any of the steps necessary like brake lines, SYE, caster, etc... He just put on the lift and went. Now im stuck trying to fix it. We had another baby so the progress is pretty much non existant lately. Thanks for confirming that im not insane. Im just slowly getting things the way they should be. Ive just got used to driving it this way and got to like how high it sits. Even tho it may not be absolutely needed.

What size tires are you running? Maybe pull the spacers out.

Looks like you are still running short arms which will dramatically increase the arch of the springs. I will also advise pulling the front spacers out. That will help out a bunch. Not sure what can be done in the rear to get back to level, but at least start with front spacer removal.

Back