• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd Dodge Dakota SUA 8.25" in my 2wd XJ

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
So after doing some research on potential SUA donors, I found the perfect candidate: a Chrysler 8.25" 27-spline axle from a '87-90 Dodge Dakota 2WD V6. The perches have the same 43.5" width center-center as the XJs and they have the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern. The only fabbing to be done other than minor grinding to the housing to clearance the Auburn LSD(same had to be done in the XJ's 8.25") and swapping over the ZJ discs is moving the shock mount locations. The shock mounts on the Dak are both on the rear of the axle and closer to the pumpkin. I'll have to ditch my current custom 2" lowered leaves(they have a slight frown as they sit) and pick up a set of stock springs with the locating pins flipped or aftermarket/custom springs. I will also have to source some shorter stiffer(maybe adjustable) shocks. Anyhow, I picked up the axle today and it has 3.21 gears, which will work great with the 24-25" tires I use for auto-x(I've been hating the 4.10s on the DD 27"s and have started auto-xs in 2nd gear when running shorter tires). My question to those who might be able to help: I want higher spring-rate leaves that won't change the height of a stock XJ(SUA will give me the 4" drop I need)--any advice? I plan to contact Flex-form and Deaver to see what they can provide.

Last edited:
PS: in '91, Dodge changed to a 6x4.5" bolt pattern and in '97, the 8.25" changed to 29-splines(dunno if '96 was a bastard year like our XJs, though I have read of people complaining of the same no-rhyme-or-reason to Chrysler's axle choices, just whatever was available on the assembly line at the time). 2wd 8.25"s are SUA and 4wd 8.25"s are SOA. Many '97+ Dakotas also have 9.25" axles and they are 1" wider WMS than than the 8.25"(so 1/2" wider on each side). I have yet to read if the Jeep axle shafts can be swapped into the Dodge axles, but might give it a try(would save buying the longer lug-studs that the rear ZJ disc-swap requires). More to follow. . .

Last edited:
Both are chryco axles, so in theory, the shafts should swap over as they are the same width etc.
Good luck in your venture. Before I got my 8.25 w/ 4.10s I thought about picking up a 9.25 to swap in. Did not know what all was involved, other than trying to find correct lug-pattern shafts.

Back