• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bare housing?

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm going to be taking he XJ in shortly ... 3link here we come.

My donor axle had a busted pinion, so I stripped it bare, in prep for new gears on the truetrac.
Issue is I don't wnt to do all the welding to the housing and pooch new seals and such.
So, the plan is to build the housing (sleeved, trussed, OTK tracbar, new upper mount ...) and run it with just stubs in the bearings until I can get to the gear shop (2-3 weeks).

Seems pretty straight forward to me, but anyone think it'll cause issues? I have to do a about 210km driving highway before I can get to gear shop.

your talking about a D30?

and are your talking about welding to the tubes. or are you planing on welding to the cast center section?

that stuff aside I dont see a problem with just running stubs.

Making a new 2 5/8" upper link mount on the passengerside. A new OTK tracbar bracket where it works best, maybe moves spring plates back, new sway mounts, blah, blah, blah. Not willing to keep working on my LP30 anymore.
Then a small truss to tie everything together. Inside will be Nitro tube sleeves.

I ran just stubs on my 94 for a few weeks. No problems.

When I finally install my 30 I may run the 2wd stubs for a bit until I regear the rear to match

If you're gonna truss it, why bother with sleeves? A truss is far more effective. Since you're doing new mounts anyways, run some 2x4 react tubing across from inner C to inner C. Gives you as much bracing as needed with a D30 and gives you a solid platform to build mounts off of. Don't forget to build some inner C gussets while youre at it, those will bend before a tube ;)

Sleeves are going in as I already have them.

Back