• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Seal leak?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
When I picked up my XJ it had a million leaks from all the splotches under my rig. I took care of the tranny pan and oil pan first and now things are down to a quarter side pool each time I drive and park it. If it sits for more than a few hours it stops. I had one from the rear main seal, but someone recommended tossing in some valvoline max life w/ Lucas seal conditioner first, and since it needed an oil change any way I tried it. The rear main seal hasn't left a mark in a week so that might actually have solved that problem for now.

I think the front seal may be leaking though. There's a bunch of, what feels/smells like oil, all over the power steering hose that goes under the block on the front side, and splattered all over the tierod/draglink. Its also on the right hand side of the main pulley. It seems to be coming down the right side (when facing the engine from the radiator) but its so tight up there I can't really tell where its coming out of. Does that sound like the crank seal?

I've only replaced a front seal once on an old toyota so long ago I think, had to pull the pulley, water pump, belt, etc then using a timing light, etc. Is that what I have to go through for this if thats the problem?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

mines leaking in about that same spot, but i think mine is the timing cover since the top of the alternator is covered also, id recommend doing timing chain while you are down there...

What's the urgency on it? We're tight on cash (got 6 weeks till the new baby), so every penny counts. If I get a few drips here is there any potential for damage or could I run it like this for 6 months and do the job later? The reason I ask is that a seal is cheap, but I like to do things right and if I'm going to take it all apart I'd rather do timing chain, water pump, new belt, etc. That makes it a $100 job.

Thanks.

check oil daily and gather parts, dont buy quarts, get gallons to save... i concur about doing it right if you are gonna do it... unless emergency say you have to rig it... granted i am not a certified mechanic, just a back yarder with 30 years of trial and error... just my 1.83 bits worth... i am sure others will chime in in the morning~

My '84 4 cyl was using 1 qt in 1000 miles in leakage. Got into it and discovered that the bolts to the timing chain cover were all finger tight. The gasket had shrunk or something over the years leaving the cover a point of easy oil loss.

I found 1 timing cover bolt on my '01 backed out when I did water pump.

Might be a trend?

You probably can't get to all the bolts without getting deeply into the job anyway so just get the parts and plan to be there awhile.

The front seal is like an hours job. Loosen the balancer bolt before you take the belt off. Draw a quick picture of how the belt goes back on, don't trust your memory. Rent/borrow a puller, I use a steering wheel puller. Remove the aux fan to make some room.

I found the hardest part was getting the old seal out without scoring or damaging the aluminum timing chain cover. There is a raised aluminum ridge, kind of a stop so the seal doesn't go in too far, behind the seal. If you hook this while trying to get the seal out, you can pry until your eyes pop and the seal won't move :). The key for the balancer on the shaft is often stuck in there pretty well, I usually just leave it. If it moves or falls out, it usually isn't a big deal to get it back in there. I usually use a cold chisel and very slightly notch the groove for the key and tap it in with a small hammer so it doesn't fall off or shift when putting the balancer back on.

Make sure the seal is oiled or greased so it doesn't get hot and melt before the engine oil gets to it. I usually put a real lite coat of silicon on the outside metal ring of the seal, it works as a lube so it slides in better and reduces the chance the seal will seep from a scratch in the housing.

You may be seeping from the oil pan front crossover under the timing chain cover, but those front crankshaft/balancer seals often leak.

Plugging up the leaks is a process, something you do over time and seem to revisit on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Back