• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clean or replace?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
97' 4.0l 198,000miles Cherokee. I've replaced the tps, done seafoam, etc...the only thing I haven't messed with is the iat or whatever its called? I've been reading good and bad things about cleaning it. Should I risk and clean it or just replace it?

I believe you are referring to the IAC (idle air controller)??

If you replace it, make sure it's a good quality unit. I was desperate and bought one from the local parts store. The Jeep ran crapier than before.

Go ahead and clean it, and the port in the TB.

1. NEVER extend the IAC when it is unmounted, you can break it.

2. Be thorough, but don't be rough--it isn't fragile, but it can be broken.

3. Use some TB cleaner, cotton tipped swabs, and a toothbrush.

IAT is one of many names for the Intake Air Temperature sensor, so not sure what part is asking about. They can both be cleaned, but care and reoiling is needed with the IAC.

TPS is a no-no to clean, it hates water and solvent!!!

yup, iac is what I meant, only off by a letter lol
I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the hassle of cleaning then with my luck, breaking then having to buy a new one and go through that process lol

The IAC is a stepper motor responding to extend/retract signals from the PCM.

I don't believe I have EVER come across one that died on a Jeep vehicle, however, they become lazy or gummed up and don't operate correctly. Lazy, you will have to replace it. Dirty or gummed up a good cleaning will take care of things.

Unfortunately, you need a dealer tool to "exercise" the IAC to see if it is "lazy".

It's happened to many times to be coincidence, on both my Renix and HO. Charging system issues, either the alternator or the battery shows up as a lazy or sticky IAC.

Over a dozeb times now I go to start and the IAC sticks closed and I have to give a little pedal to get it started. Awhile later (days or weeks) it will periodically stall at stop lights. Eventually an alternator or battery problem becomes bad enough to be noticed, in other words a sticky IAC can be an indicator of charging system issues. After fixing the electrical system on numerous occasions, the IAC worked well again without a hiccup, which leads me to believe I'm right about a charging system with issues causing IAC issues..

I don't remove the IAC in the HO to clean it. I glue the nozzle extension onto a push button in a can of brake cleaner (true solvent not the new environmentally friendly stuff) and spray it into the IAC opening while the motor is running, working the throttle a little as I spray. Then I spray a coupe of squirts of a quality spray oil (synthetic) into the opening. I repeat couple of times a year as a prophylactic. Gluing the nozzle extension on can save some real grief, I almost lost one down the TB throat once with the motor running.

I try to avoid spraying solvent behind the IAC piston, there is some sort of factory grease on the tiny gears and threaded rod. I do let few drops of synthetic oil flow behind the piston on the Renix IAC, the grease gets thick with age.

Back