• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Water Leak

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Have been having a water leak on the drivers side,We are now having a severe thunder storm and I stuck my head under the dash to find the source,

Water is appearing from the lower lft corner of the fuse box,,,,,

This is a 96 XJ w/370,000 miles,original windshield,and has been wheeled from Pa.to Utah.
Am I looking for a windshield leak,or body panel separation or ?...

Thanks,
Wayne

The answer is yes, you are.

Common leaks are faulty windshield seals or rusted out sealing surfaces, door seals, incorrect door alignment in door opening, failed firewall grommets and seals, rust holes, plugged cowl drains, improperly sealed unibody seams, etc.

Well the door seals have been replaced in the last year,and hinge reinforcement repair done before that,,,so I,m looking at a leaky windshield,,gasket...... I do have glass breakage insurance and the windshield is pitted from age and has several rock chip repairs......

If you have removed your factory fender liners (or even if you haven't) check the grommet where the radio antenna goes through the sheet metal right above the fuse box.

My '93 XJ driver's side interior was wet like crazy when I first bought it. I looked for the
source of the leak for weeks. In frustration, I pulled out the seats, center console and
carpet and then hosed the exterior of the car with a strong stream of water for several
minutes.

Apparently, water leaked past the gap that is between the rear edge of the hood and
the vent cowl and trickles down the firewall and into the big wire harness connector
that is near to the steering column and enters the interior of the car.

I took the connector off of the firewall and applied a good dose of silicone sealer
and put it back together. Waited a few hours and then hosed the car again to
confirm the repair. No problems since.

The answer is yes, you are.

Common leaks are faulty windshield seals or rusted out sealing surfaces, door seals, incorrect door alignment in door opening, failed firewall grommets and seals, rust holes, plugged cowl drains, improperly sealed unibody seams, etc.

You missed one, window not being rolled all the way up :eek:

Don't ask me how I know that one.:D

Back