• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Driveshaft Length/Hack&Tap help

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
I did search for several aspects of this post, but 500+ results is a little broader than I was hoping... So.
The ass of my '00 was rusted to hell, you can see the album below if you want details.
Basically, I cut and fit some 2x4 tubing into the subframe, plug welded it in. Longevity is yet to be seen.
I also used some of HD Offroad's shackle relocation brackets, and a new .25x4x6 bumper, to try to give the ass some stiffness, especially since the shackle buckets were compromised.
The result: about 1.5" taller-in-the-rear XJ, with drivetrain vibes that went from "noticeable" to "intolerable."
Since I have an '00, and had wanted to do a hack & tap SYE anyway, I just pulled the rear driveshaft in a parking lot, put in in 4-hi, and drove home in FWD. It's been a couple weeks, and I have all the parts I think I need (a front driveshaft & a properly splined cv-mating yolk) so I started looking at actually doing the work.

What I found does not excite me.

some asshat welded in the 1" x-member drops (presumably because whatever held the x-member up originally failed), so the 33-3/4" suggested (at IRO) lands right at the edge of the splines.

I have 3-1/2" springs, 2" shackles, and the shackle re-locators (allegedly 1", I think more like 1-1/2) of lift in the back of this thing, so I thought I was well over the 4-1/2 lift minimum to use the front driveshaft as a rear shaft.

I have a couple questions:
any suggestions for slightly modifying the position of the rear axle, or the angle, to get a little more shaft length?

since the x-member needs to be addressed, what originally held it up there? how can I fix it so it's bolted up there correctly? any alternative to cutting into the subframe to access the back of the bolts?

what springs (any length close to stock) would give me 4" of lift in this situation? I could just swap springs, and thanks to the relocation brackets, of many different lengths, to get the distance needed.

Thanks for your help!
~C

http://s95.photobucket.com/user/cruisingmcb/library/Jeep Modification?sort=6&page=1

The IRO instructions are not exactly correct. You should cut the splined output about 1-1.5 inch longer than what you calculate. Trim the shaft and/or the new SYE yoke as needed to fit.

Some Grand Cherokee front drive shafts are longer. See the info at the link -> http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF , bring your tape measure to the junkyard.

Any clutch and u-joint shop can lengthen or shorten and re-balance a stock drive shaft for about $75-125.

The front cross member bolted up to some weld-nuts in the frame.

Back