• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else had rubbing issues with 30's on 5.5" of lift?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Seems ridiculous, but I'm having issues with some rubbing on the rear with 245/75R16 DuraTracs and 5.5" of lift (RE 3.5" packs plus JKS boomerangs, which net a measured 5.5"). It only seems to happen when loaded and at speed (hitting whoops at 25-45 MPH, especially on beaches). It also happens when landing small jumps with no load.

My best guess is that the rear axle moves rearward under compression due to the substantial arch of these springs - is that a fair assumption to make?

The only visible signs of contact are on the leading edges of my Detours Slimline rear bumper (lower rear areas of the rear wheel wells) along with the small plastic trim pieces that filled the gap between the factory plastic bumper trim and the sheetmetal wheel well.

This has been bugging the hell out of me for years, but I figured that replacing the leaf bushings and shackles would minimize unwanted movement due to worn rubber... But alas, the problem remains.

Is this common for other folks as well?

are you on moabs? even with that backspacing (which is less than stock), i never had issues running 245/75s. when i went to 285/75s, i added wheel spacers because i feared the wider tire would not clear the leaf springs.

i also run RE 3.5" leafs with RE boomerange shackles, about 4.5" of lift. the only contact i ever had was in the FRONT of the wheel well. im now cut and folded, an never touch anywhere in the wheel well.

is your shackle hitting something? cut and folding the rear quarters, removing the factory bumper, and adding shackle relocation has cleared my shackles of any obstruction. hope this helps.

I'm running the same size tires and the same wheels on a 1.5" lift. I get some rub when the Jeep's loaded, but I'm also planning to go higher.

I agree, bumpstops are probably the issue.

Back