• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damaged synthetic winch line..

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone else encountered damaged rope? I have a new rope that I have used once. It was a straight on pull out of mud using a snatch block anchored to another Jeep . When I went to clean the rope later and inspected it, I found several burn marks like this one and the entire line itself was full of loose fibers.

150406_10200799509860374_180994127_n.jpg

What could have possibly caused this? I controlled the line from outside of the Jeep to ensure it fed on the spool nicely.

incase the picture wasn't showing, here it is again

2sbsoya.jpg

block was brand new and came with a kit bought with the winch. The line came with a chafing gear guard but it is only on the first 3 foot or so, this is after.

How did you spool the line onto the drum originally? If it was loose, it was probably the line cinching down on itself on the drum. I had to spool mine back out and tighten it onto the drum by winching my jeep in neutral on flat ground to get it tight enough that it didn't want to slide down in between itself under load.

What kind of fairlead are you running?

I have seen this happen using rope with a steel fairlead, which you're not supposed to do.

using rope with a steel fairlead, which you're not supposed to do.

Why not?

I have seen many ropes run on steel fairleads and rollers?

What makes alum better for the rope?

Shouldn't the radius be what matters instead of material?

Steel fairleads score and tear up the rope, particularly roller fairleads.

Or so 'they' say. ;)

Steel fairleads score and tear up the rope, particularly roller fairleads.

Or so 'they' say. ;)

Strange. I've seen a number of synthetics on rollers with no issues.

I figured since alum is softer it would groove and score easier...

Yuup Supposed to use a Hawse style Fairlead , at least according to rockstomper when i got mine..

Mine is a bit fuzzy and faded some after the almost 5 years or so ive had it .
I am very careful with it and use the chafe guard .
My only regret is I should've gotten a shorter line and an extension to make it a full length when needed because i find most of my line is on the spool on most every pull i use it.

There is a good walk through with pics somewhere or other showing how to braid them back together , supposedly the braided back together part becomes the strongest part of the rope after its repaired.

Was your line Blue originally ?
I thought most synthetic winch lines were amsteel blue braided line.

Last edited:
Why would a roller damage the rope more than a hawse? If anything it will be easier on it.

I've heard people say that, but I don't buy it, from a physics standpoint, there will be much less friction with a roller than a hawse.

Not saying a hawse is bad, in fact, I think they look better than a roller.

I agree if it is abraided at all it won't be good for it, but you guys should give the synthetic lines a bit more credit, dyneema is one of the stronger synthetic fibers known to man.

What the OP has looks a lot more like slack in the line when it was wound and the friction of it rolling back in on itself caused it to wear.

119309-lg.jpg

This is my winch at fairlead that came with it and here is the pull with a brand new snatch block. Straight on with a snatch block and I stood outside jeep and ran controller.

883602_10200740379542153_1729138648_o.jpg

They are replacing the line but I need to either make sure it doesn't happen again or trade some one for a cable and some cash. I paid more for rope bc I was told it was better across the board. Sucks this was first real pull. I wound it on the drum with my buddy in the jeep lightly applying the brakes as I pulled the jeep into a tree. So it was nice and tight.

It sounds to me like you didnt spool the rope under a load. You are supposed to have several hundred pounds of tension on the rope before you use it. I usually load it with the winch tied off and the Jeep on a good hill. If its spooled without a load, the first time you put a load on it, it will chafe the rope as its tightening itself on the spool. It essentially pinches itself.

Roller fairleads are perfectly fine for Synthetic, as long as the rollers are in like new shape, i.e. have never been used with steel cable. They also make/sell Delrin roller replacements that wont rust and chew up Synthetic rope.

I have 3 synthetic ropes, two of which are over 7 years old now, and have hundreds of pulls on them in all conditions. Aside from being faded, they are good to go. I will say, if you get mud in the fibers, take the rope off an flush it out good. I usually throw them in the washing machine on a delicate cycle using woolite. Let them air dry.

Last edited:
Back