• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps/sputtering issue

camojeep88

NAXJA Forum User
i recently picked up a 91 and it has issues i replaced the tps sensor but it doesnt seem to get up past 3000 rpm. it seems very slugish and doesnt want to move real quick. i know xjs are not very fast to begin with but this is bad its the 4.0 with ax15 any help would be great

Interesting.

My 90 4.0 with AX15 is fast as heck.

Tune up? Cap & rotor; plugs; wires; O2 sensor; clean throttle body?

Well, it shouldn't cr*p out at 3,000 rpm.

Could be fuel pressure/volume, could be ignition related. Start with the basics.

Is the spark BLUE and snappy or yellowish?

Blue-ish orange is good enough UNLESS the spark is breaking down under higher RPMs.

What are the fuel pressure readings? How much fuel volume will the dump deliver? Pump should deliver 1 liter in one minute. Fuel pressure with engine running should be 31 psi with vacuum applied to the pressure regulator, and it should rise to 39 psi with the vacuum disconnected. There is also a two-second test where you pinch off the fuel pressure return line--FOR ONLY TWO SECONDS--and the pressure should rise to approximately 75 psi. Applying pressure for more than TWO SECONDS is DANGEROUS.

thank you for the help but it ended up being a clogged cat. unbolted it and ran like a champ but now it has a frightening death wobble gonna tear down the front end this weekend and check everything

ugh, that should have been an obvious item to check to us all with the 3000 rpm power loss.

I have a similar problem with a '98. Sometimes stutters near 3000 RPM particularly when going uphill at 3/4 to WOT. I have a cat waiting to install... hopefully will fix the problem.

Note from DJ
I saved this link hope it helps
How do you check the Cat
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038384
OP by Mike Mike
Quote:
Got a 94 4.0 5spd
Over like a week's time lost lots of power on hills and when pulling. lots of blowby out the dip stick on the climbs and pulls. No blowby out the front breather tube. Runs great around town. very little blowby. Cat looked like a new one when I bought the Jeep a year ago.
So going to check compression and plugs tommorow. Saw someone say about checking Cat with a vacum test. How is that done? Anyother things to check?

Back