• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Front oil seal

SaltySOB

NAXJA Forum User
I have fixed all of my leaks (rear main, oil pan, drain plug, oil filter housing o-rings, oil pressure sending unit, and valve cover gasket) but I am leaking from the front oil seal still. My question is, should I replace other stuff while I have the front apart (timing chain, harmonic balancer, water pump)? My 92 4.0 has 201,000 miles and I'm hoping to get another 50,000+ before I drop in a stroker and attempt to rebuild this one to put in my J10.

I have fixed all of my leaks (rear main, oil pan, drain plug, oil filter housing o-rings, oil pressure sending unit, and valve cover gasket) but I am leaking from the front oil seal still. My question is, should I replace other stuff while I have the front apart (timing chain, harmonic balancer, water pump)? My 92 4.0 has 201,000 miles and I'm hoping to get another 50,000+ before I drop in a stroker and attempt to rebuild this one to put in my J10.

Harmonic balancer is a good idea.

And it's not like it'll break the bank. I bought a new one when I did my rebuild and I think it was around $35. They get a groove worn in them over time and will no longer seal. With 200k it's definitely a good idea. My sister's separated from the rubber epoxy midsection and destroyed the belt.

Back