• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on removing factory crossmember

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so of all the jeeps I have delt with, Ive never once had a stock crossmember that has never been touched. I know 2 of the 4 bolts are real bolts you can pull out, but IIRC arnt the front two studs? Do you just wack them off close as you can to the frame rails, drill them out and tap them or what? Im not sure what to do here.

in a perfect world, you can double nut the stud and it will come out. PB blaster ahead of time, and a little heat are your friend. you could also weld a nut onto the stud, and turn it out. replace with 4 new bolts.

if it breaks... well, then your looking at drilling and tapping. lol. or another creative method.

Two of the four are studs. There are nutserts on all four holes.

Some PB Blaster and a stud remover, and they come right out unless you have rust.
00904458000-1

Another way to remove studs is to spin 2 nuts on, lock them together, then turn the stud out.

On my jeeps with oil soaked undersides (thanks, leaky RMS!) I've never had a single issue getting them out. Even had one come out by accident when the nut seized to the stud due to trail-related thread damage.

Run a tap through the weld nuts before bolting the crossmember back on, and use antiseize, and you'll never have an issue with them in the future. I believe they're M10x1.5 but not 100% sure of that.

on the two jeeps i had to remove these studs on double nutting was a waste of time. pb blaster and a pipe wrench worked great though....

On my 2001. I took off the 2 real bolts and then bashed off the 2 weld nuts with a BFH and a large punch. I then dropped in 2 new Real grade 8 bolts and nuts. :)

Back