• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail disconnect... need help

xjnco

NAXJA Forum User
My "69 Sport, has the fuel pump and pressure regulator located within the in-tank module that is also the gas level float. Borrowed(bought) a pressure meter from Autozone and it reads a fluttering 45-55 psi at the rail, I only want 40 psi per specs.. The pressure regulator is going bad and the replacement available is "Attached to the fuel rail". How do I pull the hose fitting from the tank off the fuel rail fitting? I've removed the holding clip but I cannot get the line from the tank to pull off the fuel rail. It's wiggle loose but I don't want to put too much effort into pulling the OEM lines apart, fearing breakage. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, fumbled fingers earlier. It's a '96 XJ Sport 5 speed with a lot of miles

The fitting from the tank is a metallic female piece that pushes onto the rail. I guess I'll need to use more force or fab up some kind of tool

Specs for '96-02 cherokees are 49psi +/- 2psi and there is no return on the fuel rail like the '95s and olders, so you can't just adjust/add/change out the fpr.

you will need a tool for those, they sell cheap, check with your local partman, be sure to get the one for the metal tangs, the ones for Ford fuel lines are round plastic pieces you wrap around the furl line and push it into the connection and then pull the connection apart, same idea on your fuel line connections . so, which is it you said you have the reg,pump system in the tank, but then you say on the fuel rail,

I got it off by pounding on the flat side of an adjustable end wrench. It did have a metal ring with hooks inside the gas line fitting. The new regulator didn't fit. Put it all back together without the metal ring, no leaks so far. I'll stop at the dealer tomorrow and ask for suggestions beside trading it in on the New Cherokee. Thanks all.

All of this is in complete disregard to the 96 having the 97+ fuel system requiring ~49 psi as stated by gradon. The system is within spec so there is no need to change the FPR as such no need to pull the lines off and do anything else. The "attached to the fuel rail" regulator you speak of is for the 95- group as they also have a fuel return line to the tank which yours does not have.

Those quick disconnect tools never ever worked for me. Fitting were always way too rusty, and they ended up snapping. Spent $20 on them for nothing when i had to change out my head.

I ended up using a mini tubing cutting and cutting the hard line in half like 2' from the fuel rail. When i had to re-connect it i simply used a flare coupling. Worked way better than that shenanigans.

Back