• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans temp gauge

camojeep88

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a trans temp gauge and im trying to figure out the best place to install the probe. Ive googled and searched but i cant find anything very helpful. Im not sure if anyone else has done this or have any info on my predicament any info would help

Lots of people have done it - do a search. Basically, you have to decide: do you want to know the temp of the fluid out of the tranny before it goes into the radiator or cooler, or do you want to know the temp of the fluid going back into the tranny after it went thru the radiator or cooler? Pick which hard line to tap into based on your decision and get it done.

I put mine in the return line to the trans. I think it's more important to know the effectiveness of the cooling system. I know the temp coming out of the trans will be high so I need to be sure the cooler is doing its job, if it's still dangerously high after the cooler I know there is a problem.

i did this.
gives sump temp.
I used a water gauge instead of a oil gauge cause if you have 125*C in the trany sump you've prety much just destroying your tray and you should stop and let it cool down. so why put in a gauge that goes to 160*C?

very happy with it.

good luck with it.

I have a sensor in the return line and the output line, both hooked up to a SPDT toggle to the gauge. I can check the efficiency of my cooler this way.

Also, I have ran the AW4 ALL DAY @ 200 degrees and not had issues with it. I don't recommend it but the AW4 is one damn tough tranny.

I tapped into the line out of the trans. Important number is what the actual trans temp is.

The way I see it, if you run the sensor on the return line and get the cool temps and it pegs at some point, it might already be too late for the trans.

Trailrider, I like your idea though.

I would put it in the sump/pan.

i did this.
gives sump temp.
I used a water gauge instead of a oil gauge cause if you have 125*C in the trany sump you've prety much just destroying your tray and you should stop and let it cool down. so why put in a gauge that goes to 160*C?

very happy with it.

good luck with it.

Here in the US, one very seldom find gauges in *C. Just about all I have seen are in *F. The transmission temperature gauge in my AW4 reads from 100 to 250 *F (what ever that is on *C I do not know).

I have a sensor in the return line and the output line, both hooked up to a SPDT toggle to the gauge. I can check the efficiency of my cooler this way.

Also, I have ran the AW4 ALL DAY @ 200 degrees and not had issues with it. I don't recommend it but the AW4 is one damn tough tranny.

I have that exact setup in my XJ. In that way I can see how hot the AW4 is and with a flip of the switch see how effective the cooler is.

The only time I see 200* coming out of the AW4 is in stop and go rush hour traffic. On the highway it usually sit between 165* and 180* at speeds between 50 MPH and 80 MPH.

Approx. 212 F is 100 C, aka boiling point for water @sea level.

I put mine after the trans. And before the coolers.

I wanted to know how hot the trans itself was.

I am happy with reading from there .

mine runs around 150f to 160f on average dd highway and stop and go type use.
Highest ive ever seen it is 170f under heavy use in HOT july weather.

Last edited:
Mine is after trans, before cooler as well. On the highway the needle rests below 160, I've seen above 200 on the trail when I'm being mean to my jeep. I see 170-190 in traffic.

It seem like many of us see temperature of 200* on the AW4. It seem a bit high to me but at over 270,000 miles, I would not complain plus, I only know how hot it get since I put in the temperature gauge. Before that who knows especially with a marginal radiator/cooling system,.....

OK. 100*C is 212*F. That is good reference point. Thank you Johnnie Walker.

B&M recommends putting it in the pan. You can get a weld-in bung from Summit for around $7 or make one yourself out of a thick washer tapped for 1/8" NPT.

Question, Whats so special about the Flex a lite radiators? one with the 3 electric fans is almost 900 bucks! Just the radiator alone is almost 700. Can someone explain that one to me?

I put mine in the pressure test port next to the cooler output line on the trans. Works great and no cutting into lines.

I put mine in the pressure test port next to the cooler output line on the trans. Works great and no cutting into lines.

I Like that spot a lot !

I was replacing all my lines anyway but I would have likely done this to minimize the AN fittings in my setup had I of seen that before I did my trans Cooler , Filter and Temp gauge setup.

Nice. I didn't know that was there.
Know what threads they are?

Its been a long time since I did it but I believe it is 14mm. I got the adapter from Autometer.

Last edited:
Back