• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase swap - Ft. driveshaft prob

iispms

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped a 231 out of a 89 Yj into my 90 XJ. This is replacing my 242. I installed a SYE kit and swapped the transmission splines. Buttoned it all up and stuck back into the Jeep.

Went to put the front driveshaft on.....it has a different yoke. I have a CV style driveshaft. I thought I could simply swap the shaft and gear....that was a no go.

Before I pay someone to redo my driveshaft, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Chip

I don't know the 242's, but check and see if the splines are the same. You might be able to just swap the yoke from the 242 to your new 231.

Otherwise I would just buy the yoke you need. I think that would be less money than building a new shaft.

Later,
Lincoln

They are not the same spline. That is what gave me the indication on the first place. I even took the tcase back apart to see if I could switch the shafts, which I could not.

Who would carry this? I would assume that there is a yoke like this somewhere, but I am unsure what to look for.

Thanks for your help.

Chip

I am very confused. Both the '89 and the '90 used a double cardan front drive shaft, not the true "beer can on a stick" CV drive shaft that was used in 1986 and earlier. The '89 and '90 should use the same drive shaft.

I never saw the YJ that the tcase cam out of, but it was a YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed, and it was either a 89-90. I do not have the YJ driveshaft either.

What I do know is that the driveshaft I have (1990 XJ Limited) has a CV joint on it. It looks to me by looking at the yoke from the 231, that the YJ did not have a CV shaft, but just a regular U-joint. They have the same size u-joints, but don't bolt up the same.

Nope......

The front shaft on some of the yj's was indeed a single U-joint. My friend with the 91yj had on that was like that. What is the spline count on the front output? I may have what you need.

Any drivetrain parts place would carry it.

National Drivetrain
Six States
Tom Wood?
Randy's?
Local wrecking yard.
Local Parts store.

If you want new I would try Tom Wood first. He has been very good to me and I'm sure if he doesn't handle them he would be able to point you in the right direction. I have also heard good things about National Drivetrain.

As far as I know all of the 231 cases are the pretty much the same. The front output shaft in my dad's '95 YJ and my '89 are the same just different yokes.

Later,
Lincoln

Looks like the one I need is 26 spline. Ghost, if you got one, let me know.

Chip

I'll check when I go to the shop this afternoon.......

But I'm perty sure I have one. My email is [email protected]

Yep I have one.

Make me an offer I'm reasonable! PM or e-mail me.

Back