• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Change

nipper

NAXJA Forum User
:repair:It's time to take my engine out and change it for one that has all of it's pistons intact. any advice? other than get somebody else to do it.

I would remove both the engine and trans as an assembly. if you remove the rad and cross member it's super easy that way.

Having done it a handful of times by removing the whole drivetrain and once by removing just the engine, I'll be pulling the whole drivetrain as usual again in the future. Splitting the engine and the transmission in the vehicle was more headache than pulling the trans+tcase was, IMO.

Having done it a handful of times by removing the whole drivetrain and once by removing just the engine, I'll be pulling the whole drivetrain as usual again in the future. Splitting the engine and the transmission in the vehicle was more headache than pulling the trans+tcase was, IMO.

Wimp. LOL.

Loosen/ remove the 2 E12 bell housing to engine bolts first.
Then throw them as far as you can and get some proper grade 8 bolts.

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but its pretty easy to get the engine off the trans. And its certainly more manageable pulling just the engine than the whole lot.

Maybe because my XJ is right hand drive it was an absolute cow to get out. mind you working on the drive with intermitant snow showers did'nt help lol.

Engine in and running sweet as a nut! mind you the amount of differences between years were more than a few, manifolds oil pressure sender, temperature sender steering pump bracket. the worst part was getting the gearbox oil cooler pipes of the rad. according to the manual you need a special tool after 99, well mines a 98 and had to do with 2 electrical screwdrivers and a piece of tin plate to get the bottom hose off Bit of a pain but on the whole the Engine went in easier than the other one came out RESULT!!!!

I usually just cut those damn hoses and then use high pressure hose clamps to put them back on the radiator after. Or buy a new set for ~80 bucks off Amazon though I'm sure that would ream you out pretty good for shipping across the pond.

Quick tip - take engine mounts off before replacing engine, it helps with lining up and getting the top bellhousing bolts in..

check out my album

I usually remove the engine mount cushion part.

For removal: remove all accessories and other items. Lift engine up, remove cushions. Lower engine back on mounts and this will give you more access to the top two bolts. I usually go from the back side of the transmission with a long extension, a ball swivel joint, and a 1/2" breaker bar.

Install is reverse.

Back