• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lines

i973eat1

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of 3.5" RE lift springs, and now that I am about to put it on, I was looking at it and realized that I dont think my rear brake line will work. Have any of you guys/ gals used these springs and the stock brake lines?

I also have a set of 3" front lift springs and was curious if my stock front brake lines would work?
I have heard of using wrangler brake lines, if I can, what ones should I get?

This is on a 99' XJ, 4X4, 4.0, stock 99' axles.

BTW its a pain in the a$$ to get the bolts out of the leaf springs. :wow:

'92 YJ for the fronts, relocated are good for over 6", as is good to 5.5"

'96 dakota in the rear, still plenty of room at 6"

this is what I'm using.

'92 YJ for the fronts, relocated are good for over 6", as is good to 5.5"

'96 dakota in the rear, still plenty of room at 6"

this is what I'm using.

So do you mean the stock XJ brake lines are good to 5.5"? Or the 92' YJ lines are good to 5.5" using the stock locations?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get the front leaf spring bolt out of the hole/ leaf spring without cutting it?
Thanks!

Devilfrog is saying that you can use the YJ front brakes lines on a XJ with up to 5.5 inches of lift. If you relocate the hardline connections (move them down) you can get another .5 inch.

As far as getting the bolts out of the forward rear spring mount, I'd soak them with PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil for a few days. If you search the forum, I'm sure someone has an ingenius trick that involves cutting an inboard access hole. I've always used a breaker bar with pipe extension and pulled until something pops... In one case, it was my 1/2" extension. You can also try an air knocker.

Correct, you can actually get a lot more than .5" by relocating (I said 6" + ) ... once I relocated my hardline mount I was able to swap my springs out without disconnecting the brakes. That's loosening the controla arms and drooping the axle to remove 4.5" lift springs with 1" spacers without having to use a pry bar (the axle dropped that far), just popped teh old RE springs out and placed the new BDS springs in. I would guess they would be safe to articulate to 8" easy once relocated (I just straigthened the hardline out and drilled a new hole accordingly - the YJ lines use the same tabbed mount style). I'll try and get a picture up later.

'92 YJ front brakelines, relocated frame mount location. axle sitting on the ground, shock has a 28.8" extended length and top of pin stud is 2-3" or so below top mount.

IMAG0526.jpg

looks like I've got plenty of length to me, well more than i'll ever use

For 3.5" lift relocate front hard line by straightening the line in the wheel well, and drilling a new mount holes.

For rear, relocate rear hard line rearward. Better is to move hard line to the center of the chassis which will involve a bunch of plumbing, but eliminates issues with flex limiting the line.

Relocate e-brake bracket on driverside frame rearward by 2".

If you want to use YJ lines, one line is longer than the others.
Look at NAPA website and pick longer side.

My experience - your experience may be different :)

Last edited:
Well thanks everyone! I actually got the bolts out, it took some time, but they came out just fine. I have to change the soft line if I want to get to full articulation, but for on the street I am pretty sure that I will be fine.

Well I got everything back together and took it out for a drive. There seems to be an odd noise coming from the transfer case. It seems like it is coming from where the rear driveshaft goes in. I am guessing that I need to lower the transfer case?
If so, how much do I need to lower it?
Here are some pictures that I took.

Stock:
20130301_081817.jpg

Process:
20130302_211227.jpg

Another one:
20130303_142620.jpg

Finished:
20130303_203528.jpg

Another one of it done:
20130303_203524.jpg

You cant really tell it in the picture, but the rear sits up alot higher than the front. The rear is only supposed to be a 3.5" lift RE springs I hope that it will settle and be a little more level.

Back