• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing????

1993jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Xj and I just bought the front and rear rack and pinion with rebuild kit 4:11. The mechanic told they won't fit that I have to buy some extra stuff to make them fit and that he has to make the rear one a positi traction. Is this true cuz I thought u just bought them and install them????? :wow:

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like you have been seriously misinformed about some stuff...

Depends on axles and gear ratios involved.

IIRC the front carrier needs to get swapped at 3.73 and larger.
I don't remember the split on a D35. IIRC the 8.25 has no split and will accept all ratios we tend to use.

Posi- no. But that may be what carrier he has around.

:) rack and pinion is steering bud, you bought a ring and pinion, but yes for the Dana 30 unless you bought the rubicon thick gear set for the Dana 30 you'll need the 3.73 and numerically higher carrier. Same for the 35 I believe and the Dana 44 has a thick gear option too (I'm going 4.88's with the thick ring gear rear for my d44) but the rear doesn't have to be posi... I think he is trying to up sell you...

Like others have said you need the correct carrier for your gear ratio, a new open carrier is ~$100. Your other option is a full case/carrier locker or Limited Slip Device.

sorry ring and pinion. so the rear can be installed with just the things i bought? but the front i do need to buy another kit?

its a 1991 jeep cherokee with dana 30 front dana 35 rear and i bought the motive gears....

Back