• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump install frustrations

xjwagoneerlimited

NAXJA Forum User
attempting to reinstall new fuel pump but cant get it to sit flush to tighten lock ring. wtf???? its the dang rubber grommet, I cant get it to seat. I really don't want to have to pull the tank.... im fed up. any tips, hints, tricks? thanks.

Be a man about it, it'll work. Might need an extra set of hands for added pressure....or blue collar hand steength

Also, there is a "pocket", for lack of a better term, that the bottom of the pump bracket sits into. If its not into that it will not sit flush enough to allow the locking collar to seat

Throw away that stupid square O-ring that comes with the new kits! I fought mine for a week. Whenever the new O-ring came in contact with fuel, it would expand and pop out of it's groove.

The solution was to buy the lock ring set made by Spectra. The O-ring has a round cross section and won't swell when it comes in contact with our wonderful oxygenated fuel. I'll see if I can get that part number for you in a little bit.

BTW, If you were to include your city in your profile, and introduce yourself in the Colorado Chapter, someone nearby might be able to help.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

I second the thought about tossing the stupid square-section O-ring. They are a PIA to
keep positioned while you struggle to seat the fuel pump and they're made of a hard
rubber. Then, just when you think you've got it all put in, it'll leak on the first time
you top up the fuel tank, and you're back to square one. Ask me how I know this.

The factory OEM O-ring is a fat, round-section, and is a tad bit more "squishy"
so that it seals much better.

Good thing I responded to this thread! I went to my box-o-spares and could not find my extra fuel parts. :confused::confused::confused:

Advance lists the Spectra kit, part number LO01, $4.89. It fits my 1990, should be the same for your 1987.

EDIT: Don't get me started on the Airtex brand parts. :mad:

Lol....dropped the tank and UN foreseen because of a plastic skid plate noticed that the tank has bullied an army of boulders in its life. So the tank is actually a few inches shallower then stock. So I put the new pump back on the unit that came out all jacked up. I gotta couple more clamps to tighten and I'll let you know if we're in business. Thanks

Well no go. Looks like new/used pump is junk. I pulled line off fuel filter going in and just trickles out on prime and crank. Could it be relay? I checked fuel rain port, again just trickles out. f relay anyone have a quick diagram. I don't. Know which of the four relays is the right one.

Nothing like pulling that dam tank and trying to install a pump by yourself. Did this today. Had changed the pump about 1 1/2 years ago. It started leaking. I was able to get a new Oring from Mopar for $15. Nobody else had or sold them.

The Spectra lock ring comes with a new o-ring. That with some greese makes the job easy.

Napa sales it under their brand and Advance(GASP) does carry it. That made it soo much easier!

Have you checked the ballast resistor on the drivers side fender, its the long white bar looking thing that has a wire coming off both ends of it. If it is reading too high of resistance then your voltage may be less than the 6v that is currently going to it.

I have removed the resistor off of all my RENIX XJ/MJ's without any issues, just plug the wires together that are at each end of the ballast resistor. This will give your fuel pump a solid 12v

Back