• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newer valve cover on 7120 head

Cascade Carl

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am using a newer stamped steel valve cover on an HO 4.0 with a 7120 head. There is a pretty good leak going from the VC down the back of the block. Has anyone here been successful with sealing the steel VC on a 7120 cylinder head? Thanks.

Carl

Are you using the newer VC gasket as well and replaced the bolt seals?

Is it possible that bolt back there has come loose?

I resused the seals. I'd feel better about spending the $30 for a seal kit if I was pretty sure the newer cover was not just incompatible with the older cylinder head. That's the thought behind my original post.

Are you referring to the RENIX cylinder head?

If so, yes I'm running a HO valve cover on my RENIX but its a aftermarket cover. I ran the stamped steel cover for a while with no issues though. I'm running the 96 style HO cover with 96 CCV elbows/orifice.

0206121346.jpg

The 7120 is a HO head, used from 91-95. I have the 7120 on my 92 MJ, and am using a valve cover that came off an 0630 that was on my 98 XJ.

I got a kit, it has gasket and bolt seals. The original seals were continuous top side and bottom. The replacements have three fingers on the bottom and continuous surface on top. Does not give me warm fuzzy feeling. The valve cover did have spacer which I will reuse. Thanks everyone. Hopefully this works.

Back