• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge Dana 44/60 axles???

M1A1TankerTom

NAXJA Forum User
I got a buddy selling a set of axles. They are dana 44 front and a dana 60 rear out of a late 80s early 90s dodge forestry truck. Says they have 4.11 gears and are 8 lugs. Thinking about picking them up for my 89 MJ. Are these a good choice for a swap? He said he would sell them for $250 for the set. Good deal?

passenger side drop. you'd need to change the transfer case. also, it's a low pinion d44, not worth much and it isnt much stronger than a high pinion d30 IMO

Wouldnt be worth it. Stock rear D60s are cheap.

most stock d60's are junk too, the only ones worth a damn are from the newer e250/350's. disc brakes and bigger shafts with spindles that will accept 35 spline shafts already.

most stock d60's are junk too, the only ones worth a damn are from the newer e250/350's. disc brakes and bigger shafts with spindles that will accept 35 spline shafts already.
yep. and you can pick up a 14 bolt for 50 bucks and have a much stronger axle.

14b's FTW, in my opinion its hard to beat how cheap and how strong they are, cheap to upgrade and stock shafts are good for enough for most setups too. shave the bottom.and you wont find another rear axle with better bang for the buck.

14b's FTW, in my opinion its hard to beat how cheap and how strong they are, cheap to upgrade and stock shafts are good for enough for most setups too. shave the bottom.and you wont find another rear axle with better bang for the buck.
agree, i had 2 e350 dana 60's here and STILL went with the 14 bolt. i was able to use the d60 disk brakes for the 14b though, so it wasnt a total loss :)

To much work to make a 14bolt worth running the fact that my 60 just needed some spring perches welded on was great, saves a lot of time over a shave. So I have a slightly weaker r&p big whoop. As far as the hp30 vs lp 44 depate I can no longer remember how many blown up hp 30's I've seen in person and have seen only 1 lp44 failure

Thanks for the info guys, my buddy was kinda telling me the same stuff. If your gonna go through the hassle of an axle swap might as well go with one tons off the bat.

the 60's used in some dodge trucks, like foresty trucks and camper specials, had the big hub variety....will accept 35 spline axles easily with no hub drilling.

not sure if the year ranges you mentioned are still that way, but the D60 I got from under a camper special 78 dodge was.

To much work to make a 14bolt worth running the fact that my 60 just needed some spring perches welded on was great, saves a lot of time over a shave. So I have a slightly weaker r&p big whoop. As far as the hp30 vs lp 44 depate I can no longer remember how many blown up hp 30's I've seen in person and have seen only 1 lp44 failure

The weak link of the 44 is the ujoints anyways... I've blown wayy too many 760s. As for the 14b, it took me about 2 days to build it in between working. And that's only because i'm linked and built a truss for the upper links. The ease of gearing a 14b makes up for the little work I had to do to throw it on the mill to shave it. I had my pattern and backlash in about 20 minutes.

If you had a '60 that was just about ready to go then that was a good choice. If I were looking to get an axle it would be a 14 bolt by a long shot. I don't think there many stronger axles short of rockwells. It is a bit of work to shave them but you can buy a kit that makes it much easier for the novice fabber. For my purposes a '60 that was nearly ready to go would be attractive also.

Back