• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension bolt sizes?

cometcyclonemk

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I had a really simple question, but the internet (or my ability to use it) has failed me.

Is there a listing of all the bolts on for a factory XJ somewhere?

Looking to replace all the hardware with new (stainless if possible) when i do my lift - and would like to have all the hardware available beforehand (it's my daily driver, want as quick a turn-around as possible).

Leaf springs bolts - front and rear
Shackle bolts
Shock bolts (top/bottom, front/rear)
Control arm bolts?
Others I'm forgetting about?

Any help would be appreciated! Alternatively, if you know of stainless hardware kit - that'd work too.

Thanks!

x2 about stainless dont being strong enough

the leaf spring, shackle and control arm bolts should all be the same. 14mm by I wanna 1.5 pitch, and around 110mm length. make sure theyre at least 10.9 grade too

Agreed on the strength of SS for the leafs / CAs (wasn't really considering the loading there). I also have access to aircraft hardware, so I may see what's available via that route - rest assured, whatever I get will be equal to or stronger than the rusty one's they're replacing.

Either way, I'd still like the known sizes if anyone has it :)

UCA bolts are M10's
LCA's are M14's but 9/16" bolts fit better.
Rear upper shock bolts are 5/16-18 x 1, lower is a stud on the axle
front lowers are 5/16-18 x 1, top is pin mount
spring, and shackle bolts are M14 (again 9/16" can be used)

LCA bolts are M14x2.0, MUST use at least ISO PC 10.9 (I'd prefer 12.9) and are 120mm long
spring and shackle bolts are M14x2.0 as well (in fact on many years they are the same exact part number from the factory as LCA bolts) and you technically could use a 9/16 except for the fact that there is a weldnut in the frame for the four bolts that attach the springs/shackles to the body. It's metric, so you're stuck with metric unless you butcher things and remove them, OR own an MJ, which uses through bolts and you can replace with 9/16 if you desire. Either way, ISO PC 10.9 metric or grade 8 SAE ONLY!

IIRC, LCA and spring/shackle bolts are part number 3420 2114 and the nuts are 1150 2814, but double check that before ordering any. Also if you want cheap ones in great shape, find the cleanest most rust free WJ you can in the junkyard, pull the front lower control arms, keep the bolts for yourself, sell the control arms here to someone doing a small budget build who doesn't want their tires rubbing the control arms. Those bolts are the same ones the XJ uses for LCA/spring/shackles.

It's metric, so you're stuck with metric unless you butcher things and remove them, OR own an MJ, which uses through bolts and you can replace with 9/16 if you desire. Either way, ISO PC 10.9 metric or grade 8 SAE ONLY!

I had to tickle the sleeve of my leaf spring bushings with a 9/16" drill bit to get a bolt to fit through it. Just barely not big enough.

Didn't feel like buying special metric bolts through. I had the 9/16" ones from the local hardware store (Gr.8).

Back