• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wire guys. This ones for you

Oxen__

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a OM617 diesel to put in my xj. Waiting on addapter for trans.

Ill be using the jeep fly wheel and trans. Now ny question is. Will the jeep tack work with out a coil hooked up? So that i still have a tach when i run the diesel? Im guessing the ref sensore in thethe bellhousing is what runs the tach.

As for the engine harness i figure ill coil it up and tape it and hang it out if the way till i can disect what i dint need from it.

what year XJ? :twak:

You are going to run into problems either way BUT
- 87-90 the tach is run off the negative coil primary wire. 0-12 volt pulses, one per cylinder firing.
- 91-96 the tach is run by the computer. IIRC it is a 33.3Hz per 1000rpm signal, not sure on peak to peak voltage.

97-01 the tach is run by the computer via the CCD bus.

what year XJ? :twak:

You are going to run into problems either way BUT
- 87-90 the tach is run off the negative coil primary wire. 0-12 volt pulses, one per cylinder firing.
- 91-96 the tach is run by the computer. IIRC it is a 33.3Hz per 1000rpm signal, not sure on peak to peak voltage.

97-01 the tach is run by the computer via the CCD bus.

its a 1989 xj 4.0L

but i after reading the links that got posted i was able to read thru and figure out some more key words. to search with . found some marine gauges that have the pickups for the crank and another few for the alt like.

thank you . thats got me squared away. i appreciate it much :D

Thank Al at the Nissan Diesel site, he taught me the trick!

Back