• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sound bar in an 88. Amp question

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Shocking news, my headliner was sagging so I decided the replace the entire thing so I opted for headliner from a 98 with the integrated sound bar, thanks ecology. I am planning on moving the speakers from the rear hatch to new holes cut in the sound bar and making the current speaker holes large enough for 6.5 subs. Obviously I am not doing this to impress the ladies, I would just like some better low-end sound without taking any real space. I was going to get a small amp, 4-6 channels, and use it to power the subs and rear speakers, perhaps the front speakers.

I do like leaving the music on while setting up camp or whatever and not panicing that I am killing my battery, but I realize the limitations of a head unit to power two subs, even small ones. So should I get an amp or not? Any suggestions where to get one cheap around the south bay?

Thanks

As far as power goes, your amps run off the battery. The remote wire from the HU is what tells them to turn on/off. You do know that the rear hatch is fiberglass, correct? I wouldn't want that much vibration there. Why not buy/build something that fits in the cubby space? That takes up very little room. Or even find one of the rare ones that goes inside the wheel of the spare tire.

I am taking everything out of the hatch. The amp will most likely go under the rear seat. 6.5 subs and 5.5 2-channels in the rear sound bar.

Running an amp and stereo off your battery while setting up/tearing down camp or etc. Will drain your battery, depending on how fast you are at setup and clean up you will most likely be fine (as long as your battery is in good condition) however the smart tip is to invest in a good quality deep cycle battery like an Rv or Marine grade. Also as a backup plan invest in a small rechargable booster pack, they also make them with air pumps built in so its twice as usefull when out offroading.

I have two amps under my back seat, an 800W driving 4 6.5 speakers, and a 400 watt driving a single bazooka tube. I regularly run the stereo for up to 90 minutes at a time with the engine off, and have never had a problem.

A bigger problem is the amps overheating in that tiny space...

I have a sagging headliner on a 88. A friend who should know says the newer headliner is too short or some such problem. Have you actually tested the fit.

Back