• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD Frame Stiffener Question

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to add frame stiffeners to my rig. Its looking like I am going to order a set from HD, but I was wondering if I should order just the Middle ones (Extend from the LCA mount to the to the front of the rear spring hanger) or do I need to purchase the entire set (front, middle, and rear)?

The reason I ask, is because I ordered a winch bumper the other day from C4x4 and by the way it sounds like it attaches, it may interfere with HD's front stiffener (Front frame stiffeners extend from the lower control arm mount to the front of the frame). If I understood how C4x4s bumper attaches, it uses frame tie in brackets to attach to the frame/unibody, so wouldnt that essentially be the same as what the stiffener would do? I also have JCRs steering box brace on my steering box.

Any insight would be great!

the front stiffener would extend from your LCA mount to your bumper. the bumper will most likly only cover from the bumper to one bolt past the steering box.

you dont "need" the front stiffener, but cant go wrong doing them all at once.

When I added the front set, I cut them where they hit the bumper brackets, then tack welded them together. If I ever need to remove the bumper all I have to do is cut the welds.

HTH.
JIM.

When I added the front set, I cut them where they hit the bumper brackets, then tack welded them together. If I ever need to remove the bumper all I have to do is cut the welds.

HTH.
JIM.

I did think about having this done, but wasn't sure. I am wanting to definitely strengthen the unibody as much as I can to maximize the xj's life. I see that HD's pricing is better for all three than just two (speaking overall), so I was just wondering about the best bang for my buck.

do thr whole set, its worth it. for the front, the bumper mounts will just cap over the stiffeners when installed. the front stiffeners are key, they beef up not only the steering box area but also the area where the track bar bracket mounts.

its a good idea to do the main stiffeners sooner rather then later. Im having a harder time getting mine lined up because my frame rails are all smashed up.

and ditto on what that foxy guy said.

do thr whole set, its worth it. for the front, the bumper mounts will just cap over the stiffeners when installed. the front stiffeners are key, they beef up not only the steering box area but also the area where the track bar bracket mounts.

That was what I was wondering...if the bumper would "fit" over the front stiffeners. I suppose that worst case would be a longer set of bolts to get it to fit correctly. I also have JCR's steering box brace on my xj too. Not sure if that makes a difference or now, but I do like it (its MUCH beefier than the puny stock brace...and I use the term brace lightly).

I think Ill be putting my pennies back for the stiffeners soon. Hopefully before spring I will have them. Since I ordered my bumper the other day, I need to get the winch on there and I also need a new steering box (my durango "upgrade" was a waste...it leaks like a sieve). After that, I guess Ill get the stiffener if I can resist the urge to get a roof rack ;)

That was what I was wondering...if the bumper would "fit" over the front stiffeners. I suppose that worst case would be a longer set of bolts to get it to fit correctly. I also have JCR's steering box brace on my xj too. Not sure if that makes a difference or now, but I do like it (its MUCH beefier than the puny stock brace...and I use the term brace lightly).

I think Ill be putting my pennies back for the stiffeners soon. Hopefully before spring I will have them. Since I ordered my bumper the other day, I need to get the winch on there and I also need a new steering box (my durango "upgrade" was a waste...it leaks like a sieve). After that, I guess Ill get the stiffener if I can resist the urge to get a roof rack ;)

With the way the C4x4 bumper mounts it should fit fine. The C4x4 bumper is a "modular" bumper. It has frame tie in brackets for strength, a winch carrier, and then the bumper itself. So there should be enough wiggle room to make it all fit.

Also if you go ahead and order the full stiffener kit and bumper at the same time roughly then when you go to put the bumper on, you can mock up the front stiffeners and just see if everything will even come close to going on together. If not then adjust your plan accordingly.

Go ahead and order the full HD stiffener kit and whatever parts you don't use from the kit you can easily sell them in your local chapter.

That JCR "stiffener" isn not an actual stiffener. The part you installed is the Heavy Duty steel spacer, which is what the name is of the factory piece you replaced with the JCR spacer. This does help add strength to the area but that particular piece is a spacer and not a "stiffener" or "brace." So that HD spacer from JCR will not cause any interference at all with the HD stiffeners or the C4x4 bumper.

Roof racks are teh geh

Not really sure what you're saying...

With the way the C4x4 bumper mounts it should fit fine. The C4x4 bumper is a "modular" bumper. It has frame tie in brackets for strength, a winch carrier, and then the bumper itself. So there should be enough wiggle room to make it all fit.

Also if you go ahead and order the full stiffener kit and bumper at the same time roughly then when you go to put the bumper on, you can mock up the front stiffeners and just see if everything will even come close to going on together. If not then adjust your plan accordingly.

Go ahead and order the full HD stiffener kit and whatever parts you don't use from the kit you can easily sell them in your local chapter.

That JCR "stiffener" isn not an actual stiffener. The part you installed is the Heavy Duty steel spacer, which is what the name is of the factory piece you replaced with the JCR spacer. This does help add strength to the area but that particular piece is a spacer and not a "stiffener" or "brace." So that HD spacer from JCR will not cause any interference at all with the HD stiffeners or the C4x4 bumper.

Thanks for the clarification. I had a YJ before the XJ, so this is my first go around with a unibody design. So far, Im not really a fan due to all the "extra" work that goes into keeping it "straight".

you can do the full kit...but the mids are the most important, im even going to put a set on my pavement pounder

This is why Im considering it. Ive heard that it not only strengthens the unibody, but it also make the ride more "firm" (as it should be). My XJ is being built for overland use, so ride quality is important to me. I also dont want it to flex like a tin can...so they are definitely in order for me, the question is not so much if but when...

I ordered all three, but have only installed the middle section. I was on a 4 day pass to go home and I wanted to duck hunt more than work on the Jeep, so me and my buddy hunted in the mornings and then worked in the afternoons (for like 3 hours). When I go back after flight school we'll spend a few days working on the Jeep to finish putting the other sections on as well as a whole list of things.

belly pan would have to be loosened so you could slide them in, other than that just prep the surface and weld them up!

If you do the front stiffeners everything will have to be removed (trackbar bracket / bumper /etc), unless you make cut outs in the stiffeners.

belly pan would have to be loosened so you could slide them in, other than that just prep the surface and weld them up!

The belly pan? Why?

If you do the front stiffeners everything will have to be removed (trackbar bracket / bumper /etc), unless you make cut outs in the stiffeners.

Is that right? That's quite a bit of work and would require another (that would be my 4th...) alignment. I'm thinking if that's the case, I'm just going to do the middle section.

The belly pan? Why?

Is that right? That's quite a bit of work and would require another (that would be my 4th...) alignment. I'm thinking if that's the case, I'm just going to do the middle section.

If you have a stock xmember, all you have to do is loosen the bolts until there is about a 3/16" gap between frame and member. Slide in and retighten.

For the front you can trim the stiffeners around that stuff if you want. As far as the alignment goes all you would have to do is adjust the drag link and trackbar, which you can easily do yourself.

Back