• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone build a door handle for the inside of the rear hatch

jeepin_idaho

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to be able to open my rear hatch from the inside so that I can sleep in the back while camping. I have a 2 door and I know I could just climb up to the front seat and crawl out the door but is tough when you wake up in the middle of the night and you've gotta take a leak.

I've got an idea of how it could be done, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and has pictures.

Dan
http://th4x4podcast.com

on a 97+ xj there is a rod that kinda sticks up, and when you pull it, the hatch will open from the inside. I put a hole using a hole saw right above it, so i could get at it in the case my exterior handle breaks off or something. should be easy to make something from that.

as for an earlier hatch, not so sure, i usually kept my trim panel off on those because they rattled around so damn much

Attach some wire rope to the tailgate operating rod, drill a hole in the plastic trim, feed the wire rope through the hole, and put a ring on the end of the wire rope.

Pull the ring, and the tailgate opens.

Awesome! I actually was going to ask this same question eventually. It is a lot better than crawling over the seats of a 2door at night.

When I drove an Xterra we had the same issue. Nissan actually sold / sells a nice handle with the steel cable that we clamped on to the rod. Worked GREAT!!!

Back