• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a new steering box?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Ever time I turn my steering wheel there's a pretty bad popping sound coming from the front somewhere. To me the problem seems to be progressively getting worse. It's defiantly not a good sound. Not to mention the sterring box seems to be leaking pretty bad as well.

Is it time to replace it? And if I do, I should probably go with a Durango box. Right?

agreed, check the trackbar, trackbar mount, and also check the ujoints in the shaft between the steering column and the steering box. I thought I had a bad steering box, the same random popping noises when turning and even more worryingly it started seizing up at certain points while turning and then "giving" and getting really sloppy right as it popped. I decided I needed to fix it immediately and fortunately discovered the ujoints in the intermediate steering shaft were horribly worn and rusty, so I threw a spare one in instead of replacing the steering box.

I got up under there today and had a friend turn from lock to lock and all the sound seemed to be coming from where the steering link going into the steering box. Not sure about the track bar though.

As far as the leak goes, it's pretty bad. It has a decent drip coming from where the link meets the box and also where the pitman arm is. Here's a few pics to help things out.

IMG_20130124_185026_zps44d37ae6.jpg

IMG_20130124_184956_zps78e3821a.jpg

IMG_20130124_184924_zpsce219aec.jpg

IMG_20130124_184914_zps1ba27cbe.jpg

Damn, it looks like both sets of seals crapped out.

How should I go about getting a new box? Should I get another cherokee box and brace the hell out of it? Or should I take the risk with the durango box? Money is tight and I can't afford getting the wrong box.

Back