PDA

View Full Version : Painting backside of stiffeners

XJensen
January 23rd, 2013, 22:33
I could not find an answer to this, maybe because it's a dumb question but I was wondering what everyone was doing. Or more importantly whats best.

1) Should I paint the back side of the stiffeners and frame rail removing the paint only where I will weld?

2) Use some weld through primer? I've heard mixed reviews on how well this actually works.

3) just weld it in and seal it up.

I am leaning toward option one and will seal everything with paint and silicon if and where necessary.

bluejeepkid
January 23rd, 2013, 22:42
I just did a full seam weld on mine. No way for water to get in

Vanimal
January 23rd, 2013, 22:42
i used weld through primer on the 3 sets i did.

kastein
January 23rd, 2013, 22:50
Don't paint, you'll contaminate the welds and the paint may catch fire, melt and drip down into other spots, etc.

Maybe weld through primer.

XJensen
January 23rd, 2013, 23:06
Don't paint, you'll contaminate the welds and the paint may catch fire, melt and drip down into other spots, etc.

Maybe weld through primer.

that is what I was afraid of. I just started reading through some hot rod fourms and what not about weld through primer. Seems to be the way to go no doubt.

From what I read it will not burn, obviously, but will seal the two pieces together. The thing I didn't know is that it makes a crappy paint primer. It should be removed from any exposed primer and you need to use regular etching primer.

clean4drxj
January 27th, 2013, 11:50
weld through primer and seamseal after you weld it.