• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ran the transmission almost dry. ?s

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
So it would appear that I shredded one of the ribs on the fan belt and it took out the return line to the transmission. I only went about 10 miles to my house and while parking I noticed it was slipping a bit. Just wondering if I did any possible damage. Ill be swapping out to a stick soon anyway. Hoping to throw another hose in and call it good for now.

1997 Jeep 2dr 4.0 aw4 231 3" lift 31s d30 8.8 4.10s

It'll be fine. I had a cooler line pop off once and it pumped out to the point it wouldn't move the jeep. Filled it and all is well.

No way to know unless you repair hose and top it off. Could go either way, but the AW4 is pretty darn tough. Certainly worth a try unless you are ready for the swap.

I did the exact same thing. Fixed the hose, topped it off and it runs and shifts fine to this day.

BTW, you need to figure out why the belt shredded too. In my case, the harmonic balancer was worn and the outer part of it was seperating from the inner part because the rubber in between was failing and squeezing out. This put the pulley part of the balancer out of line with the rest of the pulleys, shredding the belt. When you put a new belt on, look really close at the balancer.

I figured out why it shredded. It shouldnt happen again but I will keep an eye on it. The swap is about a month away so I'm just going to top it off it a new hose and it will have to get me by till then.

Back