• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water from tailpipe

97xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
how much water from the tailpipe is normal. I'm wondering if i have a head gasket starting to go out. even during the summer when its a dry 110 out I have moisture coing out of tail pipe. I get it year round i know its more common during the cold but I dont know if i should really be seeing it in the summer. last summer i would look and after 5 minutes of running there would be a puddle the size of a saucer under the tail pipe

If it's just water, it's normal. It's a normal byproduct of the combustion process.

If the engine has never been overheated and you're not having to add coolant to your reservoir and if you have no driveability symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your XJ!

Agreed. Keep an eye on your coolant levels, don't worry about tailpipe moisture.

thats what i thought just wanted to make sure. looking at replaing oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, new exhaust manifold and so i figured if i had that much taken apart may as well do the head gasket just to be safe

thats what i thought just wanted to make sure. looking at replaing oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, new exhaust manifold and so i figured if i had that much taken apart may as well do the head gasket just to be safe

Why not run a simple compression test on all cylinders. It's a good "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of your engine. The compression spec for the 4.0 is 120-150, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.

Personally, I wouldn't swap out the head gasket unless symptoms and or testing pointed to it.

For every gallon of fuel you burn, a gallon of water vapor is created. Usually you notice it when the vehicle is "cold" and as the exhaust gets up to normal operating temps, most of it is burned off on its way out the tail pipe. I notice vehicles in front of me at stop lights that accelerate and water pours out the tail pipe. You can figure that they live or work fairly close to that intersection as the car has not gotten up to operating temps yet.

agreed with the posts from above..pretty dense white smoke coming from your tail pipe will raise concerns...but like previously stated its just condensation and I second the "1 gallon of gas=1 gallon of water vapor"

Next time you do an oil change, collect a sample and send it to a company that does oil analysis. They can break down exactly what's in your oil and what can cause it.

Ha, I posted a similar thread recently
My 2000 spits out HELLA water in the morning, I can sit there and watch it spatter out and make a football sized(and shaped!) wet spot under my tail pipe. As long as it son smell bad or appear white your good.

Back