• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Dash Air Vents?

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone provide some insight as to the best way to pull and replace the vertical air vents circled in red in the below picture? I don't want to break anything. Thanks guys.

dashvents.jpg

Are they loose? If so I had the same problem. Just go the your local parts store and get some black plastic washers and cut out a section to slide them over the peg on either the top or the bottom. It works like a charm and you cant even tell they are there.

Thanks for the reply. No, they are not loose. I just want to remove and replace them with some new old stock black/chrome louvers I picked up without breaking anything. I tried to pop them off the upper and lower pivot pins this afternoon, but didn't want to use too much force on the aging plastic. There must be a safe way to do this as they have to come straight out off the pins. :eek:

Just stick a small screwdriver in one side, gently pry it out. They're just held in there with a little round tab (that it pivots on). Once you get one side out, just pull the whole thing out...installation is the reverse of removal. BTW, what louvres do you have to put back in there? Are they Jeep louvres?

P.S. FYI, a slide hammer WOULD work in removing them...might be overkill...but it would remove them.

Now that's what I was looking for - Gracias. :kissyou: I have a pair of NOS Jeep XJ louvers with the chrome outline that I will install.

Just stick a small screwdriver in one side, gently pry it out. They're just held in there with a little round tab (that it pivots on). Once you get one side out, just pull the whole thing out...installation is the reverse of removal. BTW, what louvres do you have to put back in there? Are they Jeep louvers?

Is this Charlie? :wave1:

Last edited:
Back