• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOW TO? Troubleshoot Fuel Pump renix xj

jwittlock

NAXJA Forum User
I just pick this rig up on CL for cheap. (ar15) trade. Never dealt with any RENIX stuff and it appears to have a bad fuel pump. If fuel is poured in the intake runs fine, without no run. Can anyone tell me how to Trouble SHoot the FP, as i was told it could just be a cheap electrical issue?
jeep1_zpsdda33ef0.jpg

turn the key on can you hear it?
check the ballast resistor on the drivers side fender white with 2 wires.

check the fuel pump with a 12v source to see if its wiring or a bad relay

and a final check does it have fuel in the tank?

I appreciate the help guys, the deal isn't quite done yet. i wasn't able to pick it up this evening, but i'm going to grab it tomorrow. Luckily the guy was pretty friendly about that. Or he really wants an assault rifle. I thought of the onvious of course.

1.GAS IN TANK lol

2. listen.

3. Check rail pressure.

lets just say i do hear it, but there is no pressure at the rail? and there is gas in the tank? what would be thr rundown?

I appreciate the help guys, the deal isn't quite done yet. i wasn't able to pick it up this evening, but i'm going to grab it tomorrow. Luckily the guy was pretty friendly about that. Or he really wants an assault rifle. I thought of the onvious of course.

1.GAS IN TANK lol

2. listen.

3. Check rail pressure.

lets just say i do hear it, but there is no pressure at the rail? and there is gas in the tank? what would be thr rundown?

If you can hear the pump and you can confirm there is no pressure at the rail with a gauge then its one of two things. Clogged fuel filter or most likely the "elbow" between the fuel pump and the outlet that goes though the bung has deteriorated and the pump is just spraying gas against the top of the tank.

I have had that happen to my 89 MJ. While your in there just swap out the pump with a Bosch unit

Yep, my money is on it being the small section of hose between the pump and the metal tank drop-in piece. Usually you see that on a rig that has sat for a while at some point with old fuel in the tank, it rots the hose until it's a slimy nasty mess. You'll have to pull the pump out to inspect it and replace it.

It could also be a clogged pickup sock on the bottom of the pump, OR a clogged fuel filter... neither is as likely as the first scenario though.

Back