• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seal Spin

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I have noticed some Tcase fluid leaking on my SYE 231, I have been tracking it for a while. Last night while I was looking around I noticed the seal face on the output yoke wasn't seated against the tcase. It was pretty loose in there. So I spun the real drive line and the seal was stuck to the yoke and spinning in the tcase. Anyone see this before? When I installed it, it was a good tight fit, its been in there about 4 months. Im sure now this is where the fluid is seeping from. Idea's?? Thanks

thats a new one for me.

I would start with a new seal and put a bead of rtv around it prior to installation.

is the yoke bottomed out against the seal or anything?

thats a new one for me.

I would start with a new seal and put a bead of rtv around it prior to installation.

is the yoke bottomed out against the seal or anything?

No there is about 3/8" of room. my worry is the metal of the seal spinning in the aluminum housing might have made it so a new seal cant seat. But my plan right now is new seal with locktite compound.

No there is about 3/8" of room. my worry is the metal of the seal spinning in the aluminum housing might have made it so a new seal cant seat. But my plan right now is new seal with locktite compound.

i would be worried about that too, but i can't picture it being too bad if there was less friction than on a lubricated rubber seal.

the spring or metal clip inside is busted.

I had a similar instance on a fixed yoke 242. When I pulled the old seal out I found little bits of ground up spring and metal from the back of the seal falling apart.

I put new seal in it and it's been fine. I didn't even use RTV to install. Did it with a touch of ATF to ease it into the output housing and that was it.

the spring or metal clip inside is busted.

I had a similar instance on a fixed yoke 242. When I pulled the old seal out I found little bits of ground up spring and metal from the back of the seal falling apart.

I put new seal in it and it's been fine. I didn't even use RTV to install. Did it with a touch of ATF to ease it into the output housing and that was it.
I can see the spring around the rubber, thats around the yoke shaft, but I will pull it out tonight and replace it. See it leaked the same way with the seal that AA sent with the kit, I swapped it out with a nother one and its still doing it. I just never knew that it was spinning before. So 3rd seal in less that a year, I think I will use RTV or compound to seal the seal from spinning.

That's a new one... never seen that before.

95 and earlier or 96 and later NP231?

If need be, JB weld does hold the rear t-case yoke seal into a t-case just fine. And no I'm not joking about that one.

If it spun and messed up the mating bore, it sounds like you may need a new tailcone.

If need be, JB weld does hold the rear t-case yoke seal into a t-case just fine. And no I'm not joking about that one.

If it spun and messed up the mating bore, it sounds like you may need a new tailcone.
I did look at JB Weld, I took the seal out cleaned everything then used lock tite red compound and some super hi temp RTV. Its setting up now, I will try it out tomorrow after work and see how it workedparty1:

Well at worst the tail section isnt right for having this problem in the first place so if I cant get the seal out I guess I will be swapping tail sections. I just wanna go wheeling this weekend, no time for a new tail section!!!

I used red loc-tite on the seal in my 242 with a hack and tap. I've had a few output seals back out of the t-case for some reason, but the loc-tite seems to keep it into place pretty well, and I've never had any issues pulling the seal back out afterwards if needed.

I guess my biggest thing is finding out why this happened. Its not something you hear about all the time.

I can see the spring around the rubber, thats around the yoke shaft, but I will pull it out tonight and replace it. See it leaked the same way with the seal that AA sent with the kit, I swapped it out with a nother one and its still doing it. I just never knew that it was spinning before. So 3rd seal in less that a year, I think I will use RTV or compound to seal the seal from spinning.

Can you see the "spring around the rubber" from the back side with it installed? If so, then it's installed backwards.

Last edited:
I could see that if it had a flange, but mine doesn't and I can't see the spring from the back side. Just tossed it out as a possibility.
It was a good idea, after I read it I got to thinking about a non flanged seal. I have not seen one yet for it. I talked to AA and if worst comes to worse I will replace the tail piece. Its $35.00.

Back