• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to start a jeep with no gas tank

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
Backstory
So i'm doing my daily Craigslist search for my next XJ and i come across what could be perfect: '87 pioneer with 95k on the clock, original owner, all stock, some surface rust, selec-trac, awesome black houndstooth interior, etc. (some of you may be questioning why this my ideal jeep, but we all like different xj's for different reasons, and this one has wet my appetite)

The problem is the owner took the gas tank and fuel pump out some years ago because the the fuel pump wasn't working properly (owner never figured the problem out, so he never put the pump and tank back in).

I need to know if there is any way to start this jeep without reinstalling the gas tank and fuel pump. I want to see if the engine will run before I take a chance on the car.

The rest of the fuel system is intact, just no fuel pump or tank.

Need suggestions, I feel like someone must have needed to do this at some point.

regards,

Ecgtech

Take the fuel pump, attach wires and hose and drop it in a bucket of gas.

you should be able get it to run for a short period with just carb cleaner or starting fluid down the throttle body. i was able to keep one running for about a minute at a time with careful can control....it was enough to see that it ran.
watch out for intake backfires though.

I had thought about shooting starter fluid. As you said, not the best solution but workable. I've used this solution before to start and run cars, but they were much smaller, carburetor engines (my '72 and '74 MG's), but never tried it on anything with TBI. Should I be looking for consistent spray down the TB or intermittent spurts? it would seem that a rather consistent spray was necessary to keep all six firing long enough to determine anything.

Really appreciate all the assistance on this, she could be one beautiful project. Keep the suggestions coming.

WD40 is better than starting fluid or ether since it lubricates the cylinders instead of washing them down. It also helps build a bit of compression on a dry motor and may help unstick rings, lube sticking valve stems, etc. Spray a good load of WD, kick the engine over, and keep spraying in bursts to keep it going.

Take the fuel pump, attach wires and hose and drop it in a bucket of gas.
This is what I'd do, and have done. Sling it in a bucket, fire it up.

I wouldn't use WD-40, you want to know if the engine has low compression before buying it, it'll mask a low compression issue somewhat.

Crank the thing over with a jump pack for a bit until oil pressure comes up before you start it.

I'm not too far away and end up down in Newington once or twice a week these days if you want to borrow the spare pump and chunks of wire and hose that I used to test fire the last one I was working on.

Back