• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifters

morgan320i

NAXJA Forum User
So my 89 xj 4.0 has had this mysterious oil leak coming from the head gasket, i replaced everything, every gasket there is and no luck, so im replacing the head gasket, i am getting the head reserfaced, when i took the head off lastnight i noticed a ton of oil build up in the oil gallies near the lifters, how can i clean this area without removing the motor, i am also replacing the lifters/pushrods cause all that buildup i dont trust it, whats under the lifters besides riding the cam? Can i pull all the lifters and flush with oil all the crud down the holes then remove the oilpan to get it out? Or drain plug?

Where was the oil leaking, the pass side of the block below the head?

picture.php

Can't really see in this pic but most all your 4.0 leak motor oil on this side between head and block.

Not a big deal.

But, dang your pretty good for changing the head gasket to keep the mill from weeping oil.

I'd be leary on pushing that junk down in where you can't see exactly where it went.

Replacing lifters on an old cam isn't advised and wasn't it noiseless before the maintenance?

Imma vacuum it all out, tere was alot of crud so im suprized i did not have a stuck lifter, if it was a mild leak i would not have cared,
From a degreesed dry block this is from 30 min of city driving
untitled.png

Back from the machine shop
C3033EC1-DC68-41EB-B63E-A8EACE7F117F-1165-000002E1A7F96A6C.jpg

After 2 hours,
66C731DC-411A-429A-9B7D-66AE0EBF1C7B-1165-000002E6F60885BE.jpg

I installed the new lifters, pushrods, valve guides, and rockers tonight, i need to take the header off so i can weld a small crack, then new o rings on the injectors, it should all be together monday or tuesday

Last edited:
Definately do the 20 minute cam breakin procedure and add ZDDP for sure.

To mate the new lifters to cam

The OP said in post one he was replacing the lifters (no mention of a new cam), which I thought was an absolute NO-NO, so why is old_man talking about a breakin process?????

News to me i read a couple topics about nreaking in lifters, my lifters when i took them out were toast, i had no choice

You did not replace the Cam too?

Back