• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Leak Woes...

jpmaniac87

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I'd start a new thread since this is unrelated to the fuel issues.... I had an oil leak and a tranny leak. Short background, this is my '91XJ that sat in a driveway for a few years that I am getting back into working condition. I fixed part of the oil leak (OFA o ring was pretty much dry rotted), it's still slowly leaking out of plug in oil pan... On to the tranny.. I dropped the pan and replaced the filter and seal, also changing the section of the tube for the dipstick with some flexible tubing rated to resist corrosion from the tranny fluid. The problem is that it is still leaking!!! It looks like it's out of the crossmember, which doesn't make sense to me. I snapped some pics, maybe someone else here has had this problem before without me just replacing EVERY seal... I definitely think that it's coming out of the tranny and not the transfer case because it wasn't leaking bad until i replaced the pan and filled it with fluid. Thanks for the help!! Please see Pics below. All of them are oriented from the back pointing to the front of the jeep.

20121210_184158.jpg

20121210_184105.jpg

20121210_184146.jpg

20121210_184059.jpg

You may have over filled it?

There is a seal on the back of the transmission where the transfer case input shaft goes into the transmission. Its probably leaking. Looks like someone had tried to fix it before as the orange RTV you see shouldn't be there. However, it doesn't look so wet there. Another source could be the seal between the adapter on the back of the trans. It mates to the transmission body for the transfer case to mount to. It is the part that the transmission mount bolts to. There is no gasket there, but RTV. You must also use the correct RTV that resists transmission fluid. The orange stuff there may not be up to the task.

Are you sure your pan isn't leaking?

Try cleaning up under there so you can find the actual source of the leak.

also changing the section of the tube for the dipstick with some flexible tubing rated to resist corrosion from the tranny fluid
what? How are you checking your level now?

I'm the someone with the orange... didn't know any better back when I did it, but like you said, it doesn't look like it's coming from there.... the seal seems likely, I didn't realize there was one there. As for the tubing, it's only a 6" section of BARELY flexible tubing, the dip stick goes all the way into the tranny like it did before. I'll clean it up and pay close attention to that seal. Thanks for the info

Hmmm... I dunno, I put a gallon in after full fluid drain and filter change...

I have never needed to add more than 2.5 quarts after that process!!!! Sounds like you overfilled it. Was leaking before?

If it is a real seal leak, try a second transfusion of the old fluid. Be sure to use DEX III ONLY!!!!!

Then as a last resort, try adding a 1/2 pint of Trans-X to the fluid, drain some first to make sure you do not over fill it. Must test the fluid level hot!!!!

Last edited:
I have never needed to add more than 2.5 quarts after that process!!!! Sounds like you overfilled it. Was leaking before?

If it is a real seal leak, try a second transfusion of the old fluid. Be sure to use DEX III ONLY!!!!!

Then as a last resort, try adding a 1/2 pint of Trans-X to the fluid, drain some first to make sure you do not over fill it. Must test the fluid level hot!!!!

It was leaking before, And it looked to be from the tranny pan seal in the rear... but that's why the rest of the possible leak areas are plausible too cause the fluid seems to be in the same location. I'll check level when I get home from work, could be that, I'll just open up the plug and draining a bunch and clean it up. Not sure where I saw someone say they used over 4qts after full removal and filter replacement... I guess that's what I get for a quick google search while in the parts store! Ha

Mine usually takes 4 qts after a drain and refill.

And I suggest you re think your flexible tube thing for the dipstick tube. Put the correct tube back in.

Interesting, I have never ever been able to get more than 2.5 quarts out of my 87 4x4, or my 89 2x4, both AW4s, no matter how hard I tried. I might get closer to 3 quarts dropping the pan and doing a filter change. And I have drained them about 16 times.

How are you draining yours?

A dip stick over flow (too much fluid) and a leaking dip stick seal will also look like other seal leaks.

Well, I dropped crossmemeber and it looks to be coming from that seal... I drained all fluid from trannyand tcase . I'll be fixingtthat all the while swapping the input shaft from my 242 intothe 231 ill be iinstalling. As far as the rubber hose, i think it is fine and will make pan removal simple. I'll post pics when I can.

Back