• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiate leaking after flush. Help!!!

Built2kill

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I had my radiator flushed because it looked like damn mud inside. After I drove it to the house I noticed it was leaking pretty bad from the cap. I thought maybe it was on wrong so I let it cool too it off put it on and drove it again. Same thing! I just checked my coolant overflow tube and it had a lot of crap built up in it so i ran a wire hanger through it and sprayed water throught and put it back on. I haven't tried running the car yet will do it in the morning but I wanted to see if anyone ha this issue or similar? I haven't had a problem before the flush so why now?

The other day I had my radiator flushed because it looked like damn mud inside. After I drove it to the house I noticed it was leaking pretty bad from the cap. I thought maybe it was on wrong so I let it cool too it off put it on and drove it again. Same thing! I just checked my coolant overflow tube and it had a lot of crap built up in it so i ran a wire hanger through it and sprayed water throught and put it back on. I haven't tried running the car yet will do it in the morning but I wanted to see if anyone ha this issue or similar? I haven't had a problem before the flush so why now?

It may have been low on coolant before, too low to overflow. Or it may have air trapped in it.

What year? Is it a closed or open system? Cap on the radiator of not?

Did they flush the block and heater core too?

Did they drain the block too, and refill with 50/50?

On the open system, I find it is best to leave the cap off, run the engine till the T-stat opens, let the air out of the block (run the heater system and blower on high at the same time), then top it off if the radiator level drops when the T-stat opens. Then install the R-cap, and let it cool. The overflow bottle should be about 1/2 full as it cools.

And I agree, the cap is low cost, get a new one, and make sure the counter guys pull the rental tester and tests the cap before you leave the store. They are sometimes bad right off the shelf!!!

Not sure on how old the cap is I bought the truck in Oct. ya they did the full flush and refilled with 50/50. I'm on my way now to get a new cap and overflow hose because the old one is still full of crap I tried running water through with no luck. Ill be sure to have them test it there. It's weird that it didn't happen until the flush. Only thing I can think is my system was that f**ked up that it didn't circulate causing it to not overflow out of the cap.

Back