• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What more do I need to do?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So over the past year, I have really tried to make my jeep more streetable and road friendly.
IRO long arm kit
Bilstein 5100 shocks for front
Brand new RE 4.5" Coil Springs
RC 2.2 shocks for rear
I have had everything checked and tightened, Upper control arm bushing could use replacing as well as upper ball joints, but nothing serious.
My problem is, my jeep is just not fun to drive. whenever I have an extended trip (30 min or more of driving) in the city, I cannot wait to get out and be done with driving it.

Whenever I hit a pothole or uneven section in the road, it feels like everything is just loose and gonna fall out from under me.
If there is a raised section in the road, instead of it feeling like a bump going up, it feels like I just hit a straight up vertical curb.
I really don't know what else to do besides just throw money at it which I cannot do right now.

I was never a fan of using JUST rubber bushings to keep the axle in place with a suspension that mounts to the axle using only 3 (of four that it had stock) rubber bushings. if that bushing could use replacing, i reccomend replacing it. Its not like they are expensive.

and ball joints either need replacing, or don't need replacing. There is no inbetween. If they COULD USE replacing, they need to be replaced.

what trackbar are you running?

I was never a fan of using JUST rubber bushings to keep the axle in place with a suspension that mounts to the axle using only 3 (of four that it had stock) rubber bushings. if that bushing could use replacing, i reccomend replacing it. Its not like they are expensive.

and ball joints either need replacing, or don't need replacing. There is no inbetween. If they COULD USE replacing, they need to be replaced.

what trackbar are you running?

I am running an IRO trac bar with bracket. So what are you advising on the bushings? I mean the IRO kit still uses 3 bushing and 2 flex joints.

Im gonna go snap some pics of my front end, angles of steering, and shackle angle.

Last edited:
Shackle Angle:
20121118_124116.jpg

20121118_124130.jpg

Front End:
20121118_124153.jpg

20121118_124348.jpg

Coils:
20121118_124206.jpg

20121118_124218.jpg

All together now:
20121017_161842.jpg

It has always looked really weird to me...I looked it up...its actually a rugged ridge trac bar and bracket...but it is installed the right way. Adjuster nut is at the bracket end where it connects to the frame.

I am running an IRO trac bar with bracket. So what are you advising on the bushings? I mean the IRO kit still uses 3 bushing and 2 flex joints.

3 bushings connecting to the axle. I bet that upper bushing deflects a lot more than ya think it does when hitting bumps, braking, accelerating, etc.

That tracbar looks backwards. It must have a decent amount of bumpsteer.

bumpsteer would be determined by the line between the frame-side trackbar and axle side trackbar mount being parallel with the pitman arm and axle side drag link mounting locations.

the shape of each bar means nothing.

I'll agree with KTM here. If you only have one 'UCA' and it's held in by a bushing that might be worn out, you are probably getting some major deflection. My UCA bushings were very worn out when I replaced them at around 100k miles. I eventually went to a 3-link, but my upper arm has johnny joints on both ends, so little to no deflection.

And by 'throw money at it', I'm assuming you mean 'fix the bushings and joints that need to be replaced'. Which is probably your answer.

Shackle angle isn't perfect, but most lifted cherokees have that same angle, including mine, and mine isn't a bear to drive.

And again, kinda looks like the tires are aired up pretty good. You probably shouldn't be running more than 26-27 psi, less if you are just cruising around town.

I'll agree with KTM here. If you only have one 'UCA' and it's held in by a bushing that might be worn out, you are probably getting some major deflection. My UCA bushings were very worn out when I replaced them at around 100k miles. I eventually went to a 3-link, but my upper arm has johnny joints on both ends, so little to no deflection.

And by 'throw money at it', I'm assuming you mean 'fix the bushings and joints that need to be replaced'. Which is probably your answer.

Shackle angle isn't perfect, but most lifted cherokees have that same angle, including mine, and mine isn't a bear to drive.

And again, kinda looks like the tires are aired up pretty good. You probably shouldn't be running more than 26-27 psi, less if you are just cruising around town.

My PSI in tires I think is around 25-28, I'll have to check. I guess after Christmas, Ill get the UCA bushing and ball joints replaced. The rear also needs to be adressed, I need to remount my shocks and check into my shackle angle a little more.

My PSI in tires I think is around 25-28, I'll have to check. I guess after Christmas, Ill get the UCA bushing and ball joints replaced. The rear also needs to be adressed, I need to remount my shocks and check into my shackle angle a little more.

I can attest to recently lowering my tire's PSI greatly improving the ride in my jeep. My 33" tires are running about 22-24 PSI right now and it made a huge difference compared to the 30 I was running before (not to mention the contact patch is better on the road now).

I can attest to recently lowering my tire's PSI greatly improving the ride in my jeep. My 33" tires are running about 22-24 PSI right now and it made a huge difference compared to the 30 I was running before (not to mention the contact patch is better on the road now).

Yeah, I am gonna check them today and see what they are at and lower them down a bit more.
I am gonna price together all the ball joints and UCA and just get those done.

Back