• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost LeafPack about the same arch height. Is that right?

jeepskeight

NAXJA Forum User
Just put together a couple of budget boost leaf packs for my 88' XJ. I took leaf packs from a 99' and 00', cut the eyes off the mains out of one pack and added them into the other. Now that I've wrestled the stock packs off the 88' (at 15 below in my driveway I might brag), I'm surprised to see that what I thought was a sagged out stock pack looks to be only 7/8" less high (completely unloaded) than my fancy new five leaf Frankenpack. Is this right? Will I get the 2 to 2 1/2" I was hoping for once I put them on? If not, I'd just as soon add something else now, cause Fairbanks isn't the best place to work on Jeeps in December!

I'm over over simplifying, but the short leafs give you lift while the long leafs give you load carrying capacity. You'll be more firm with an extra main leaf, but really only lift you the thickness of the leaf plus whatever sag it helps to reduce.

Thanks, that makes sense to me.
I guess I won't be able to get around the possibility of doing it twice. I'll just put them on.
Hopefully it'll end up at 2" or more, clear the 31's (which are worn to 30's), be somewhere close to what I did in the front with the UpCountry springs and 5/8" spacers, and give enough support for my 100 gallon water tank (with coil-over shocks).
I'm pretty sure it'll be way higher than the squashed condition it was before, but maybe not that much over stock.

Long leaves add lift, and load capacity. An extra XJ main with spring eyes cut off should give about 1-2" of lift, depending on the condition of both the original spring pack, and the condition of the donor spring pack.

Spring arch is not the sole factor for determining ride height (lift).

Last edited:
Update: I put on the budget boost packs. My understanding is that stock Cherokee height (center of wheel to fender flare) is 17.0" in the rear, 17.5" in the front. My jeep was a little cockeyed, but basically 16.5" in the rear and 17" in the front.
In the front I installed Moog CC784 springs and a 5/8" Rukse coil spring isolator. I left the stock isolators on the front. In the back I used an extra main leaf (from junkyard 99' XJ) with the eyes cut off and placed below the main leaf (from junkyard 00').
I ended up with 20" in the front and just shy of 19" in the rear. Thus, a little more in the front (2.5" vs. 2.0") and less in the back (2.0" vs. 2.5") than I expected from the rocklizard budget boost writeup. I just ordered some 6" rocky-road shackles (1.5" lift) to (slightly more than) even it out. I figure with a little rear settling, it should be the angle I'm shooting for. I could even it out by removing one isolator, but I think changing the shackles will be quicker. Hopefully I won't run into driveline issues as a result.

your tcase should have the shorter tailshaft (and corresponding LONGER rear driveshaft) as compared to a 1997 and up. this should minimize/mitigate any vibes up to about 3"-4" of lift. (though all jeeps are different and you might have to shim the rear axle or drop the tcase a bit.)

Update 2: It's been -40 and lower for weeks, yikes. Borrowed a friend's garage and added the Rocky Road 6" shackles. Added 1.5" as advertised. Sitting at just shy of 20.5" in the back, and 20" in the front. Shackle angle's not ideal (close to vertical), but I'm OK with that for now. Also added Rocky Road bar pin eliminators, and Monroe Sensatrac MJ rear shocks and YJ fronts (need BPE's for this unless installing barpins on them). I dig the ride. Shock part numbers: 37029. 37120. Shock travel seems about perfect for this amount of lift (3" or so). No vibes, SDO, but an alignment is clearly in order. Not very budget at $636, but it was way more fun than a kit!

Update 2: It's been -40 and lower for weeks, yikes. Borrowed a friend's garage and added the Rocky Road 6" shackles. Added 1.5" as advertised. Sitting at just shy of 20.5" in the back, and 20" in the front. Shackle angle's not ideal (close to vertical), but I'm OK with that for now. Also added Rocky Road bar pin eliminators, and Monroe Sensatrac MJ rear shocks and YJ fronts (need BPE's for this unless installing barpins on them). I dig the ride. Shock part numbers: 37029. 37120. Shock travel seems about perfect for this amount of lift (3" or so). No vibes, SDO, but an alignment is clearly in order. Not very budget at $636, but it was way more fun than a kit!

$636? With shackles and "new" longer lower arms for 3" lift I was about $3-350. You took the budget out of budget boost lol, just kidding. Glad it all worked out for you though.

Back