• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need loan of TCU for testing

larue2000

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there have a 1996 compatible TCU that they are not currently using that they would loan out for a month or so. I can not get my 96 Country to signal solenoid 3 to lockup. Solenoid, TPS and VSS are new. I have wired around the TCU and can do it manually. Power to TCU is good (12.xx volts). TCU must be bad?

Thanks in advance.

The TCU is most likely not bad. Have you done any work on the master cylinder or brake booster? Your symptom is usually caused by a bad signal at the brake switch input to the TCU. Just because your brake lights work does not mean you have a good signal at the TCU. This is a fairly exposed wire run and can be caught by a toe while hitting the brake. You need to verify this signal at the TCU before you go any further.

A bad signal from the Transmission Range Switch (AKA NSS) can also cause the TC not to lock, but it is unlikely as it would require the switch or harness to be shorted internally, not the usually failure mode of this part. Have you had it apart recently?

Back