• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Brake pad and rotor upgrade

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is going to be due for front brakes soon so I have some questions? Previously I have done $60 brake jobs(front), new cheap pads, new cheap rotors, and down the road. Since I upgraded to 35s a while back and I am using this as a DD again I am considering stepping it up.

Is there good value in slotted rotors and a better pad? Or is it one of those upgrades like a K&N filter, you did the upgrade, and you paid the money, and it automaticly feels like it made a difference no matter if it did or not lol. Or should I throw another cheap ass brake job on it and save my money for a WJ setup or something else. Thanks for any input.

I already have a disc brake 8.8 so that upgrade has been done, can't imagine driving an XJ without the rear discs now.

WJ brakes and steering are a great upgrade. Do that if you can afford it all.

If not, I had great luck with powerslot rotors and brembo pads. Quite a different feel from the autozone stuff I had before.

I have Raybestos semi-metallic Advanced Technology brake pads on the front of the ZJ. They work pretty well for a stock brake setup. I'm pretty impressed with them. Also, don't get cross drilled rotors. No need and they tend to develop cracks.

Before the Black Magic pads, the hype were EBC Yellowstuff and Centric Premium rotors.
I have EBC Yellows on mine (simply because I couldn't justify shipping on black magic) and love them :)

Installed a set of Centrics premium rotors and Black Magic pads almost 2 years ago at the recommendation of Cal and a couple other Jeep owners that are using them. Once the pads are bedded in; their performance is nothing short of outstanding...

Which warn hub conversion? Best to call black magic and tell them what you have, I'm positive blaine has something that would work.

Back