• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 not going to low gear after stopping

98xjeepy

NAXJA Forum User
96 xj aw4 4.0
My neighbors Jeep has been acting up. Sometimes when he stops Trans acts like it stays in 2ND or 3rd gear. No power pulling out but if he pulls the shifter into the 1-2 position it acts just fine and normal power. Doesn't do it always but its becoming more frequent. I tried searching and couldn't find any other posts like what he is experiencing. Thanks in advance.

It is electrical, anything from a bad fuse (if permanent), solenoid in the valve body going bad, or more likely a loose ground, sensor wire, or bad TPS or vehicle speed sensor.

I figured electrical. That's what I told him. I was hoping this would be a common problem with the cherokee kinda like the crank sensor or nss. Oh well guess I'll start checking some things tomorrow. Luckily he has a parts Jeep as well so worst comes to worst I can just throw parts at it till I find the correct one. Haha thanks ecomike

96 xj aw4 4.0
My neighbors Jeep has been acting up. Sometimes when he stops Trans acts like it stays in 2ND or 3rd gear. No power pulling out but if he pulls the shifter into the 1-2 position it acts just fine and normal power. Doesn't do it always but its becoming more frequent. I tried searching and couldn't find any other posts like what he is experiencing. Thanks in advance.

Some years ago myXJ did the same thing about 40% of the time then progressively got worse. It turned out that #1 solonoid in the AW4 was bad. I went ahead and replaced all three ince I was already in there. An OHM meter was the diagnostic tool of choice. I do not remember the correct reading at this time.

Back