• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory rear Dana 44 Disc brake upgrade

Warlock1

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the rear disc brakes from a Grand Cherokee (WJ, ZJ, etc..) Dana 44 is a direct bolt in, or even if it requires some modification, upgrade for a factory (1987) XJ Dana 44? I searched but couldn't find any info. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the rear disc brakes from a Grand Cherokee (WJ, ZJ, etc..) Dana 44 is a direct bolt in, or even if it requires some modification, upgrade for a factory (1987) XJ Dana 44? I searched but couldn't find any info. Thanks.
No, you would have to alter the bolt pattern on either the D44's flange or the brackets/backing plates of the disc setup you plan to use as well as placing a .023" (1/4" is close enough) spcacer between the bearing retainer plate and seal/bearing to compensate for the thicker disc brake bracket/backing plate.

I adapted Ford Explorer stuff onto my D44 by filling the old holes and redrilling the XJ D44 pattern onto the Explorer parts....made the spacers from some schedule 40 (don't remember the size) pipe that was a perfect fit......If I were to do it again, I would just alter the axle flange's bolt pattern.

Ford Crown Victoria stuff will bolt right on (still need the spacers) but, the caliper mounting is asymmetrical with one caliper mounting in front of and the other one mounting behind the axle....bugged me!

Kind of a pain but, totally worth it....in my opinion :)

Hans

i have the crown vic brakes and i just flipped one side so both calipers are in the rear, easy enough. crown vics also have slightly bigger calipers than exploders i believe.

yes, but the one time every 5 years or so that i need to bleed that brake, i can just take out the 2 bolts and flip it over. seemed like a better option than having the ebrake cable all looped around the axle on that side.

No, you would have to alter the bolt pattern on either the D44's flange or the brackets/backing plates of the disc setup you plan to use as well as placing a .023" (1/4" is close enough) spcacer between the bearing retainer plate and seal/bearing to compensate for the thicker disc brake bracket/backing plate.
Hans

Really? Even though both axles are Dana 44's? Why would the Grand Cherokee dana 44 and the xj dana 44 have 2 different bolt patterns? I can understand the spacer and the axle/wheel lug pattern (5 on 5"verses 5 on 4.5"). And do either the dana 35 or 8.1/4 have a similar flange bolt pattern to the Dana 44?

Last edited:
i have the crown vic brakes and i just flipped one side so both calipers are in the rear, easy enough. crown vics also have slightly bigger calipers than exploders i believe.
Yeah but, that puts one e-brake cable on the bottom and the other on the top.

I thought about the Crown Vic stuff but, that bugged me.....I'm just too anal about symmetry.

Really? Even though both axles are Dana 44's? Why would the Grand Cherokee dana 44 and the xj dana 44 have 2 different bolt patterns? I can understand the spacer and the axle/wheel lug pattern (5 on 5"verses 5 on 4.5"). And do either the dana 35 or 8.1/4 have a similar flange bolt pattern to the Dana 44?
The Grand Cherokee D44 (D44A) uses an aluminum center section and C-clip axles so, it's an entirely different animal.

And....no D35 and Chrysler 8 1/4" are C-clip as well and differ from XJ D44 flange pattern.

Believe me I did a lot of research before starting mine.

BTW, I picked up the parts from the bone yard for about $50.
You might also want to grab the GC proportioning valve guts (spring, piston, end cap) and swap them into yours for proper brake bias....I also modified two Explorer passenger side e-brake cables ($15 :D) to work with my setup.

Hans

Really, Oatmeal is correct.

The axle may be the same axle (D35 is a D35, but the XJ44 is not the same as the Grand's D44a), but they are from different vehicles. The flange bolt patterns are different, no rear disk brakes from a Grand Cherokee axle bolt onto an XJ axle without modification.

Also think of this, the XJ44 production ended about 4 years before the Grand Cherokee even came into existence, and more until the D44a came out. If they changed the center section design and material, all the internals, etc, why would it make sense to retain the same bolt flange with an axle that was discontinued?

Last edited:
Ok, got it. I didn't realize the aluminum d44 was a c-clip axle.

As far as the proportioning valve is concerned, I'm not doing all that hassle of mixing parts, I'm just going to install an adjustable valve and be done with it. I have ABS right now and I have to do the '96 and up booster upgrade and associated brake line mods anyway so I'll install the adj valve while I'm at it.

So you think the ZJ disc brakes are closer to what I need than the WJ? I don't mind fabricating what's needed, that's what I do for a living. What did you find about the ZJ and WJ brakes that I might need to know, if you don't mind?

.......As far as the proportioning valve is concerned, I'm not doing all that hassle of mixing parts, I'm just going to install an adjustable valve and be done with it. I have ABS right now and I have to do the '96 and up booster upgrade and associated brake line mods anyway so I'll install the adj valve while I'm at it..........
It's no hassle at all in fact, you couldn't ask for an easier modification.....you just unscrew the end cap on your XJ's valve, replace the internals (and end cap) with the GC's stuff and you're done!.....no cutting or flaring of brake lines.

Literally a 15 min job (if you're slow)....aside from bleeding the system, of course. ;)

Hans

Ok, cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I do the upgrade. So about the brakes. I would prefer to keep the brakes Jeep if possible, that's why I'm asking about the WJ or ZJ setup. What did you find out about them? is the ZJ close with the addition of the bearing/seal spacer? Thanks.

Clean4dr any more info on that kit? The website seems pretty prehistoric. I have an ABS-retro'd Dana 44 and I'd like to swap it to discs. This looks like it might work because there's essentially no backing plate.

I know more than 2 people running this kit and for the money well worth it, the rotors are bigger than say an 8.8 disc swap or ZJ disc swap would be.

http://tsmmfg.com/Rear_Disc_Brake_Kits.htm
This is the best bang for the buck, especially if you you get the calipars without the ebrake mech.
Those guys are some of the nicest people you'll ever talk to.

When I was putting rear discs on my early Bronco (have an old Warn full float axle conversion) they were kind enough to get me part numbers for the brake hoses I needed....even though I wasn't buying from them!

However, if you want to go really low budget (my specialty :D) and are handy, you could source the calipers ('79-'85 El Dorado) and rotors from the junk yard and use something form here: http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/category.aspx?catid=26 and save a lot of money....those parking brake equipped calipers are pretty pricey otherwise.

Hans

Really, Oatmeal is correct.

The axle may be the same axle (D35 is a D35, but the XJ44 is not the same as the Grand's D44a), but they are from different vehicles. The flange bolt patterns are different, no rear disk brakes from a Grand Cherokee axle bolt onto an XJ axle without modification.

Also think of this, the XJ44 production ended about 4 years before the Grand Cherokee even came into existence, and more until the D44a came out. If they changed the center section design and material, all the internals, etc, why would it make sense to retain the same bolt flange with an axle that was discontinued?

Actually a D35 is not a D35, the 80's D35 was not a c-clip axle, it has the same backing plates and mounting flange as the D44.

Back