• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start after replacing TPS

davey1

NAXJA Forum User
my 93, 4.0L cherokee was occasionally stalling. In testing the old TPS, I was getting 5 volts, but the middle lead at WOT I was only getting 3.9 maximum. It did go up smoothly in voltage though. I pulled the code 24 and replaced TPS. Jeep ran fine that day, then next day it won't start. The engine cranks and cranks but doesn't even try to turn over. I hear the fuel pump noise too. I checked this morning, and I'm not getting any codes now, just the 55. Is it possible that I have a defective TPS? Would that cause a no start now that the engine is cold?

the new TPS tested o.k.
I unplugged and re-plugged the CPS and now it starts. However, I did get a strange shift from 2nd to 3rd on a short test drive.
could that strange shift be related to the CPS going out?

Davey,

I have been battling a similar problem with mine as well. My CPS and TPS are both new(replaced the old ones). I was getting no spark on my CPS, and after an OEM replacement, all was well. Then after working on it for a bit, its now stopped wanting to start when cold, lacks power when you apply throttle, and has several other lack of PO maintenance issues. I've done a full tuneup, replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and I am kinda at wits end trying to determine if its out of time or just what the deal is. Hope you get yours figured out. I can only tell you that some of what I have done, has helped, but hasn't gotten me back into a on road DD XJ...yet.....

Jeff

Plugged exhaust from a busted Cat?

Check the sensors, O2, MAP, CTS and especially the MAT temp sensor.

Davey,

I have been battling a similar problem with mine as well. My CPS and TPS are both new(replaced the old ones). I was getting no spark on my CPS, and after an OEM replacement, all was well. Then after working on it for a bit, its now stopped wanting to start when cold, lacks power when you apply throttle, and has several other lack of PO maintenance issues. I've done a full tuneup, replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and I am kinda at wits end trying to determine if its out of time or just what the deal is. Hope you get yours figured out. I can only tell you that some of what I have done, has helped, but hasn't gotten me back into a on road DD XJ...yet.....

Jeff

the new TPS tested o.k.
I unplugged and re-plugged the CPS and now it starts. However, I did get a strange shift from 2nd to 3rd on a short test drive.
could that strange shift be related to the CPS going out?

NO.

Disconnect the battery to force the ECU/PCM to relearn the new sensors. Then test the sensors with a multimeter. Also check the MAP, Map Vacuum line, CTS, MAT temp sensors and the O2 sensor against factory specs

Did you set/adjust the TPS?

Plugged exhaust from a busted Cat?

Check the sensors, O2, MAP, CTS and especially the MAT temp sensor.

The cat has been removed to be replaced once the engine is running/driving on its own. The FSM only talks about the heater circuit on the O2 sensor. Is there a value or test that needs done, so that I can pinpoint that as a possible culprit? The O2 sensor is likely going to need replacement, as the front exhaust pipe behind the exhaust manifold is going to need replacement. Why wouldn't the O2 sensor throw a CEL, since if its out of parameters of the ECU, it would kick the light on?? I will determine the status of the other sensors and post up those results as well.

Jeff

O2 sensor is not likely to cause a no start. But it can cause a stall if the heater is bad, or it is not getting power, 12 V while idling.

Search "ecomike oxygen sensor test" for the testing thread here.

Old_man this a 93, no calibration on the TPS.

Back