• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover Gasket

Worth every cent.

The cork gasket is harder to fit, moves around when stabbing the cover. The gasket on the MJ lasted about a year before it started weeping. The one on the XJ started weeping within 2 weeks mostly because it shifted a tiny bit when I put it on. But it was useless after that.

I replaced both with the perma-dry rubber gaskets over 3 years ago. Dry as a bone on both, no RTV and best of all it's reusable.

I prefer the reusable, but nothing wrong with the cork.

Use some high tack stuff to keep the cork in place when installing and be sure to re-torque after a heat cycle or two (most people skip this step).

I don't use a gasket, I use The Right Stuff.

I don't use a gasket, I use The Right Stuff.

I have used the Right Stuff before but wonder if there are any clearance problems not using the spacers? It would seem to be a good solution to preventing future leaks.

I installed the Perma-Dry on my XJ last week. Got it off of Amazon for like $32 shipped. Time will tell how it does, but I chose it because of all the great reviews I read.

I refuse to sell the cork to my customers. I have had a few bitch about the price till I ask them if they want me to do it once or every 6 month's.

I'm also hugely satisfied with my Felpro Perma-Dry. Advice: Throw away the plastic bits that come with the gasket and reuse what came on your jeep (the metal washers/spacers).

Yeah.. those little plastic bits are suppose to be used with the steel spacers. Spacer, plastic bit, valve cover, then head.

Can you clarify this. I have never looked at a VC gasket. I assume there's a bolt head that sticks out. Do you put the metal spacer on first, then the plastic, then the gasket and then the valve cover "head" last?

Installed a Felpro Perma Dry to ensure it wouldn't need to be redone.
The hard rubber grommet should be replaced when replacing the valve cover gasket; they will get brittle and lose their flexibility. Once you have the valve cover removed you slide the steel sleeves with captive washer from inside the grommets, remove the grommets from the valve cover bolt holes and insert the new grommets, insert the steel sleeves with captive washers, install valve cover gasket onto head then install valve cover and bolts.

I just ordered a FelPro VCG. Do I need to order extra things like washers to do this job, or will everything come with the gasket? Grommets, etc.

I just ordered a FelPro VCG. Do I need to order extra things like washers to do this job, or will everything come with the gasket? Grommets, etc.

This must vary by year based on the other comments.

Mine is 1988.

The gasket has a metal rigid core and washers at the bolt holes embedded in the gasket. My valve cover had cast in spacer/washer like protrusions at the bolt holes.

I simply cleaned the surfaces, set the dry gasket in, placed the valve cover in and tightened.

No loose spacers, washers, grommets or anything came with the gasket or were on the jeep.

Working with a dry rigid gasket makes things easy

Back