• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Headlight Harness worth the money?

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
First, I'm really not trying to build my own. I've seen the write-ups, it looks possible, but I've been known to have bad luck where others dont. I'm having headlight issues and I want to make sure that everything works the way its supposed to, and leave nothing to guess(ie: making my own)

If you guys like back stories read on, if not skip to the :helpme:

I'm currently running that $30-40 putco/eaharness and some 80/110 bulbs, and I'm having issues. Low beams aren't turning on, passenger side headlight constantly burning out, wonky relays. Bulbs are brand new and checked, relays are new( < 1 month), fuses are good, replaced the headlight switch, and I have the toggle dimmer switch ready to put in(although I would prefer to return it if its not the fix).

While trying to elementary troubleshoot (switching relays, wiggling wires) something caused the power wires from the harness to start... sizzling where they connect to the battery. Now I have no working headlights(but the orange side lights work just fine, so I hope the whole system is fried). Hence my bad luck, or bad form...

I want to eliminate as many variables as possible, so I unplugged the harness H4 connector from one headlight, and plugged the stock connector in and I have light in that headlight. So right now I'm thinking its my harness since harness = no lights.

I'm going to replace the harness(which I'm happy to do, I think its a pile of junk and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone running high than stock wattage bulbs) Those bulbs were running over 300 deg, and that's with solid ground and power connections. I was also having a problem where I was replacing the passenger side bulb about once every 2 months. I'm going to blame the harness on that. Even had it checked by a mechanic and they said all connections and power looked good, they were stumped, but concerned about the temps..

:helpme:

My question is, is the ARB harness worth the ~$100 compared to others? Why are there 3 relays?
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=601

Is 12 ga wiring sufficient for about $70?
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/headlight-harness

I've seen people post links to suvlights.com, but the site is down for maintenance, so I'm not sure what they're working with.

Edit: Also, I'm running ebay autopal housings. They wiggle a bit after mounting. Is this normal? I know others run them too. I imagine they're gonna wiggle one way or another

Last edited:
Its $100 for the ARB name, and possibly freight from AUS.

Make your own... you'd be able to tell EXACTLY why they arent working properly.... You would also be thinking productively, instead of blaming a pre built harness....

Why would the bulbs being 300 degrees be the fault of the wiring? If anything the wiring would burn up due to the high amperage pull of the bulbs. Have you measured voltage drop at the connectors? That harness is just wires, 2 fuses and 2 fuse holders. I would diagnoise the problem before throwing out the harness.

Last edited:
I use the Pucto harness with no issues, other than the pesky fog light/high beam conflict which forced me to move the fogs to a dedicated circuit (PIAA).

You can also grab one of the harnesses sold on ebay that usually come with high quality lights, like PIAA or Hella.

Some of their harnesses are made for an H4 like setup (dual), like the harness for the PIAA 525, which services two lights. You can solder on the H4 connectors and make it identical to the Putco. They come with high quality relays and cabling. Painless also makes good quality electrical harnesses.

I personally think ARB sells everything way too expensive for what it is.

Pulled the harness, put some stock wattage bulbs in, and everything works fine.

I have a multimeter, but I suspected the harness the entire time, one of those gut feelings.

People always mention the cheap appearance and foreign quality of the putco harness. I suspected it was the culprit all along; denial is an evil thing. You get what you pay for.

With that being said, I do feel like I'm spending a bit extra for the ARB name, but I want to avoid headaches like this in the future. If that's what it takes for a quality working product, then so be it. Otherwise I'm fine with buying a quality made harness for less from someone else.

I really don't want to put one together. I work fulltime, and I'm extremely active on the weekends. Id rather pay for the luxury for a pre-assembled harness from someone whos in the business of making them, and making them well, than put one together. This is the first weekend I've been home in 5 weeks, and that's only because I had to fix this problem before leaving for 6 days this upcoming week.

So does anyone know what the recommended GA wiring is for a harness and aftermarket bulbs? Is 10ga overkill or necessary?

Edit: Something I realized about people who mention not having problems with their putco harness: How long have you had it in? It seems everything I read about them is an initial impression, and nothing long term.

12 awg is adequate for all but the highest wattage lamps. You can never go wrong with 10 awg but it will usually be overkill for XJ projects. I know you are not going to build your own but you can get ideas for specs from Go-Jeep and Daniel Stern Lighting:

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

I know some (perhaps many) have had satisfactory results with Putco/eautowerks but I would never buy a harness for something as important as headlights from a vendor who doesn't list wire gauge and relay specs.

Im on about 2 years on the Putco harness... I think most problems come from the cheap relays. I have read honda relays are the same size so I will go to those if I have problems or convert to regular Bosh relays.

I've had my harness for right under a year, and I'm on my 3rd set of relays, and 7th or 8th lightbulb. Yes, I tried switching relays and that didn't give me low beams this time(although before when I lost low or high beams, I switched them and they were the culprit)

Apparently you can't find a direct bosch replacement without soldering. Didn't have time to try out Honda, although I have read the same. These are the replacement relays I used: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-PL-RY1-Auxiliary-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B000BL2Z3I/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

I guess a better way to put my question: other than making my own or ARB, is there a quality alternative to the putco one?

Yes. go to rallylights.com. They have a quality harness, made in USA with
the wire coming from a plant in PA. You can pick up the phone and talk to them. It's about $78 IIRC, and it is a QUALITY harness. No problems in 1 1/2 years. Greg

I was not aware so many XJ folks were set on going with high wattage in the oem headlight spot. Is the gain worth it?

My XJ runs Silverstar headlights and 3 pair PIAA lights right off the battery with relays - there has been no issues and it's plenty bright at night.

Curious about the gain for this conversion.

I was not aware so many XJ folks were set on going with high wattage in the oem headlight spot. Is the gain worth it?

My XJ runs Silverstar headlights and 3 pair PIAA lights right off the battery with relays - there has been no issues and it's plenty bright at night.

Comparing headlights to headlights (no aux lights) its a huge improvment to go to H4s and a dedicated relay/ harness. Go measure the voltage drop at your stock headlight harness connector end....

Comparing headlights to headlights (no aux lights) its a huge improvment to go to H4s and a dedicated relay/ harness. Go measure the voltage drop at your stock headlight harness connector end....

Hmm right, that is a big loop of wire. At the very least you could use stock wiring to drive 2 relays with direct wiring, hey wait a minute. hehe

OK I see it now. :laugh3:

Buy the arb harness you will not be disappointed. Everything arb makes is good sometime overkill but never junk! In my opinion. If you don't feel comfortable building your own think aboutvif you did parts and labor it's a simple decision.

Yes. go to rallylights.com. They have a quality harness, made in USA with
the wire coming from a plant in PA. You can pick up the phone and talk to them. It's about $78 IIRC, and it is a QUALITY harness. No problems in 1 1/2 years. Greg

I called them up and spoke to Ray today. $108 + shipping. Kinda pricier than what I'm shooting for, but its starting to sound like other than DIY, a GOOD harness is going to be $100+. With that being said, his best selling point(to me)- other than the specific American quality made wire, connectors, relays- is that he said if I have any troubleshooting issues, he's the guy I call to fix my problem.

I noticed a huge difference after the harness- even before I went to 80/110 bulbs. The bulbs just made everything better. I also live in a VERY rural area, nothing but a pitch black country highway; not a single streetlight within about 15 miles of me. Extra light is extremely practical.

If I lived in a metro area, or even suburbs, I wouldn't run as high wattage bulb as I do now.

Bought a harness from Big 4x4 (no longer a vendor), Dirk supplied IPF lights, fatboy bulbs and PIAA driving (from ?). It hooked up well, but many times when I went to high beam the relay blew and no lights. The PIAAs and headlights were not hooked toghther on the same harness. I could change the relay and everything worrked for a while.
Called ARB and they sent me free of charge two of their relays; of course, did not match.
I could of tried to make my own as many suggest, but knowing my own abilities, I bought the ARB, installed and everything works like it is supposed.
Make a decision to make your own of quality products are buy ARB; Any body want the harneess I pulled, inculding extra relays?

Back