• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have XJ audio questions.

I realize that this subject has been discussed in great length, but I want to make sure that I’m getting current info. I use to keep up on car audio, but years have lapsed since being around it or reading the literature. My overall goal is to replace the OE head unit, replace the wiring, replace the OE speakers and perhaps add a small sub. In the past, I’ve always been happy with Pioneer Head Units and speakers. I've also had JL and Kicker. I typically use the head unit to run the front stage speakers and the rear stage speakers. This would leave me with having to buy an amp just for the sub. So here are my questions.

1. Do you recommend any certain Pioneer head unit models?
2. Does Pioneer still make good sound quality replacement speakers? Or would you recommend a different brand?
3. Are there fitment issues with certain brands as an OE replacement?

If I add a sub, I’m planning to go with Jeep Cherokee Cargo Stealth Enclosure. Here’s the link: http://subthump.com/Jeep-Sub-Boxes/Cherokee/84-01-Jeep-Cherokee-Cargo-Stealth-Enclosure.html I would fit the box with an 8" JL 8W3v3-4 since that specific speaker would work well for the specifications of the box. The JL 8W3v3-4 recommends power in the 75W - 250W range. JL also recommends 0.30 cu. ft. in a sealed enclosure.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

I have a Pioneer Premier (their flagship line) in my daily driver, and i'm hugely unimpressed. the user interface sucks. which is hugely annoying when you're trying to drive and use the radio. It sounds good, but that's about it.
I have a low level Sony in my jeep which sounds darn good and it's way easier to use. cheap too. Has all the features i need like preamp outputs, usb and aux inputs, displays the name of the song playing on radio stations, etc. I dont do the bluetooth thing or sat radio so i didnt spring for the model with that.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT540UI-Player-Receiver-Black/dp/B002PK0SNM

I've always had good luck with Kenwood or jvc when it comes to stereos. had a pioneer in my old Ranger and was not impressed. a step up from oe if anything. as far as speakers go I have Memphis and they are decent if you don't listen to music that has a lot of bass (in the 5.25" size) although if you were running a sub you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Vanimal, that’s good information. It’s hard to believe that head units have gotten so cheap and still retain some degree of quality. In my past experience I’ve noticed three things about cheaper unit units. (1) They are more likely to skip when going down rough roads and (2) their control features (buttons) wear out faster. (3) They usually have a lower watt output. But those experiences were from years ago, and things could have changed.

I would also need to look at the wattage requirements for the front and rear speakers to make sure the head unit will sufficiently power them.

although if you were running a sub you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Yep, that's the reason why I want a sub, even an 8" will do the job and take the stress off the OE replacements.

can never go wrong with Alpine headunits. I have one of their digital sound processors still that was the"2nd half" of their old combo CD player and digital processor/graphic equalizer. Since then I ditched the cd playr but plugged my ipod directly into the DSP unit. it still is advnced for being 10+ years old.

I would suggest going wih 6.5" speakers all around. I have a 2001XJ with JL Audio's and they are excellent. MB Quart used to be the shiz but now they are made in china instead of germany.

Front JLs:

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C3-6...8&qid=1349025742&sr=1-9&keywords=jl+audio+6.5

Rear JLs:

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C2-6...8&qid=1349025742&sr=1-1&keywords=jl+audio+6.5

JL and Kicker still make awesome subs too.

Soundstream rubicon series is a great cost effective amp with great signal to noise ratio and quality for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-R...629&sr=8-1&keywords=soundstream+rubicon+2.250

Last edited:
Vanimal, that’s good information. It’s hard to believe that head units have gotten so cheap and still retain some degree of quality. In my past experience I’ve noticed three things about cheaper unit units. (1) They are more likely to skip when going down rough roads and (2) their control features (buttons) wear out faster. (3) They usually have a lower watt output. But those experiences were from years ago, and things could have changed.

I would also need to look at the wattage requirements for the front and rear speakers to make sure the head unit will sufficiently power them.
that radio is usually about $130. the sony head units seem to be the best buy for the money. The cheaper one i have is built about the same as their better ones, just with less features. Sound quality is much better than most other radios i've heard in that range. The power output is decent, it has good bass response. I'd say the rated power output isnt too far off. I've had this radio for about 2-3 years in 2 different vehicles and it still looks and functions like new. It's a basic unit, no stupid flip down motorized faces or anything to go wrong.

mostly, with a little mod (which means slight triming with a demmel or sawzall,whatever you have) but is so slight it might as well be stock fit. the front system is component though meaning you wil have to mount the tweeter separately in close proximity

Stayed with Pioneer

Well I installed a Pioneer deck with iPod control and remote. Put 6.5's in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear deck. It's not audiophile style but it sounds good and with no sub (restrained myself this time).

I can leave it on, while using our folding solar panel, indefinitely if I want. With the rear deck open, and the 6x9's firing down, you get nice campsite tunes without annoying your neighbors. The remote is great for swapping tunes or volume from the table!

Did you check out the cargo sub box they sell? Looks like a great fit.

I have the pioneer 9400 and the deh 80. I actually like the 9400 better even though the UI is the same. JL speakers and a JL small 8" sub box with a single JL 500 amp and it's one of the best sounding systems I've had. I'm an audio engineer as well so it's important to me to have a quality sounding system. And the Bluetooth on both work extremely well. You can stream pandora right to the radio.

the front system is component though meaning you wil have to mount the tweeter separately in close proximity

Do you have pics where you mounted yours?

Re: Stayed with Pioneer

I can leave it on, while using our folding solar panel, indefinitely if I want.

I would like to hear more about your folding solar panel. I've been looking at solar panels, but I've only been looking at the small ones that fit on the dashboard.

With the rear deck open, and the 6x9's firing down, you get nice campsite tunes without annoying your neighbors. The remote is great for swapping tunes or volume from the table!

Sounds great to me!

Did you check out the cargo sub box they sell? Looks like a great fit.

I haven't seen the box in person, only on their website that I posted. I plan on ordering their sub box here pretty soon.

can never go wrong with Alpine headunits. I have one of their digital sound processors still that was the"2nd half" of their old combo CD player and digital processor/graphic equalizer. Since then I ditched the cd playr but plugged my ipod directly into the DSP unit. it still is advnced for being 10+ years old.

I would suggest going wih 6.5" speakers all around. I have a 2001XJ with JL Audio's and they are excellent. MB Quart used to be the shiz but now they are made in china instead of germany.

Front JLs:

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C3-6...8&qid=1349025742&sr=1-9&keywords=jl+audio+6.5

Rear JLs:

http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C2-6...8&qid=1349025742&sr=1-1&keywords=jl+audio+6.5

JL and Kicker still make awesome subs too.

Soundstream rubicon series is a great cost effective amp with great signal to noise ratio and quality for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-R...629&sr=8-1&keywords=soundstream+rubicon+2.250

I agree with this. I also used to be big time into car audio, then life took over and I lost touch with what's going on now. In my current XJ, I ended up with an Alpine head unit and amp, JL audio speakers, and a Bazooka Sub and I'm very happy. I don't even bother with CD's anymore. I can load 500+ MP3 tracks on a USB drive and I'm good to go. No skipping, don't have to worry about dirt, dust, etc. I would have never dreamed this was possible 15 years ago . . .

I have the pioneer 9400 and the deh 80. I actually like the 9400 better even though the UI is the same. JL speakers and a JL small 8" sub box with a single JL 500 amp and it's one of the best sounding systems I've had. I'm an audio engineer as well so it's important to me to have a quality sounding system. And the Bluetooth on both work extremely well. You can stream pandora right to the radio.

I'll probably stick with a Pioneer head unit since I've always been happy with them. I'll have to do my homework when comparing different models. I want a quality head unit but I don't need all the fancy features.
I’ve been a big fan of JL since I was in high school. I had JL 12” W2 subs when I was a Sophomore (1993). I think I paid nearly $300.00 a piece back then. I had to toss a lot of hay bales to get that kind of money, lol.

I can load 500+ MP3 tracks on a USB drive and I'm good to go. No skipping, don't have to worry about dirt, dust, etc. I would have never dreamed this was possible 15 years ago . . .

That's a good point, and for that reason, I plan on buying a digital media head unit.

Hmmmm, I also need to decided whether or not I want a head unit with the built-in satellite radio. Decisions, decisions…..

i dont even use mp3's anymore, that's so 2006 :D
i stream everything through my phone, typically pandora. aux input, good to go. the only thing i use my usb port for is for charging my phone.

btw, i used to do SPL competitions and whatnot when i was younger (in the 90's), and stuff was MUCH more expensive back then. like 2-3 times more expensive for a lot of stuff.

i used to do SPL competitions and whatnot when i was younger (in the 90's), and stuff was MUCH more expensive back then. like 2-3 times more expensive for a lot of stuff.

I know what you mean. I didn't do competitions, but I remember paying $400 for my Pioneer head unit, $300 for each sub, and I think my Rockford Punch 100 was $400. The front stage speakers were about $175 and the rear stage was about the same. I had a small Rockford amp running the front stage and another small one running the rear stage, they were $75 a piece. Then I had wiring, terminal connectors, capacitors, dynamat, etc. I had at least $2,500 into the system. It was good, but it wasn’t competition worthy.

how hard is it to do 6x9s in the front doors?

Back