• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 gears into an 8.25

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0 AX15
3.55's

so my buddy has a 8.25 rear axle he is willing to sell to me. the only issue is it's got the stock manual transmission gears of 3.07's can i use the gears outta my D35 and put them into the 8.25 or will that not work i asked my buddy whos selling the 8.25 who knows alot about jeeps,axles and etc and she said he was not sure. so is it doable or should i continue to look for an 8.25 out of an automatic?

Just take the 8.25 from your buddy at the "friend" price and use the savings to buy a set of 3.55s for the new diff - they aren't that much - or get a lunchbox locker and pop it in the 8.25 carrier.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The ring gears are two different sizes and the D35 is the weaker of the two.

yeah i gotta do it real soon though, the 8.25 my friend has was a 27 spline but it seemed like a great deal for 20 bucks...... i did spin my tires a bit earlier this week, nothing broke so is it safe to assume that the rear end isnt any worse off than it was before?

you didnt say how it was bad in the first place. is it making noise?

it doesnt seem bad at all it doesnt make any noise it only leaked gear lube oil from the filler plug which is my fault because it has a tear in it. I am starting to think that i am just being extremely paranoid about the whole thing just from what i have read and seen mostly recently i saw a friend blow his open like a grenade but then again he drives it like he stole it 99% of the time. I woulda have the 29 spline 8.25 in already i had enough squirreled away for it but text books this semester costed much more than i thought so I am back to square 1

So you are paying him $20 for the privilege to haul off his 27 spline 3.07-geared 8.25?

Spend the $100 on a junkyard 29 spline 3.55 8.25. Probably 95% of the late model XJs you find in the jy will have this axle.

Back